RF30 Clone (33686) spindle pulley retainer nut removal

Tomzo

H-M Supporter - Silver Member
H-M Supporter - Silver Member
I am trying to get rid of the dang cover on top of my HF 33686 and am not having much luck so before I do something stupid I thought I would seek the advice from others who have done this. I have a few questions:

- Browsing the posts here I see that some versions are right hand and some left hand - anybody know what the HF 33686 is? It will be real hard if I am tightening when I think I am loosening!
- I can't seem to find a mechanism to lock the pulley in place so I can torque on that nut. I have some gigantic channel locks that can easily grip the nut, but though I have some ideas on how to hold the spindle all involve things that might mar or even damage the pulley or other features.

I am figuring there is a trick to this and I just don't know it yet....

Thanks in advance

Tom

There you have it! That is SOOOO much better! It is quieter too - there was always a little rattle from all that sheet metal sticking up there. That 2x4 sticking out used to hold a 4' LED shop light when my lathe was on this bench, but the lathe was much lighter and this was the only bench I had that could handle ~700 lbs and the lid interfered with it when open. Now I can put that light back in!

No Cover.jpg

Seeing those open sheaves right by my head would make me nervous. I'd be fabbing up some kind of guard,

Yeah - I am going to be converting to a new motor and VFD soon so that will be part of the project. I may use the base of the old lid as part of that. I am also bald and this is way above my head!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back