Rf30 Convereted To Cnc Been Done Yet ?

i have looked around at router cnc kit from "inventables" or something like that, got to thinking, the hardest part of that kit is building the mechanical parts. why not, i said to myself, could i not just convert my rf30 with the parts that come with the inventables (the electronics).
then again, why reinvent the wheel if someone else has done it already and would be willing to share their information ? so thats the question. . .
it appears that the cmc thing is getting more and more user friendly so just maybe i could understand it. its just another thing on my bucket list

https://www.ebay.com/itm/USA-Free-Wantai-3Axis-Stepper-Motor-Nema23-57BYGH627-270oz-in-3A-4-Lead-Driver/322250212815?_trkparms=aid=444000&algo=SOI.DEFAULT&ao=1&asc=48754&meid=e7642f798b084886866ca728ae7eef75&pid=100752&rk=4&rkt=6&sd=321544031024&_trksid=p2047675.c100752.m1982

$176.60, includes shipping, meaning big savings, IF it is suitable! It appears to be NEMA 23 motors, similar controllers, to the one listed that is a year ago... I have about 30 used HP computers that run at 2.0 to 2.4 GHz, in steel cases. 32 bit Intel processors, plus, lots of interior space to mount more electronics. Also, have spare empty cases, with ventilation fans...

I am looking forward to converting my 1984 ENCO RF-30 mill (that has the Rong-fu Z axis mechanical drive, built in). It will run Linux, as do all the systems I built, since 1997. We hold a monthly seminar all day on the First Saturday each month, since 2002, at Winter Park Christian Church, in Central Florida. Their Fellowship Hall seats 100, where we talk, and show, high tech machines, Rasberry Pi's, Arduinos, Beagle-bones, and more, all running on a Linux that is built for their platform.

Plus about half of the attendees are HAMs, and two are College professionals who all are very familiar with GNU/Linux, and we demonstrate why it is a disaster to try to run Microsoft (Failure mode is too high for competent use in any professional environment), when Microsoft Corporation runs their Windows development cluster of 25,000 desktops in Linux, their "Microsoft Cloud" leased from Ubuntu Linux, their front line servers on Linux and BSD, and their Corporate Network behind 400 Aruba Linux firewall boxes...

I also have just picked up a 3 HP Marathan motor, that was created as a VFD motor... Was $50.00 on Craigslist, with pulley. My ENCO RF-30 mill has a 2 HP motor, that is wired for 120 VAC, without reverse (31 Amps!). The current 5 foot long AC cord gets very warm, meaning it has too small gauge wires. Was going to switch it over to 220 VAC (15.2 Amps) anyway, but, we will see how it goes when I get the Variable Frequency Drive unit. That's my first step.

Last edited:
now this post is two years old. . . i did not convert my f30 for a number of reasons, the two main ones were, lack of actual work area, and second would be that it would pretty much complicate the ability to use it as a job shop / maintenance type machine. i think i use it more as a accurate drill press than a mill. two years ago, after making that decision i built a router, cancan machine, work envelope is aprox 16 by 24, with a 8 in "z" ability. . . . however i have totally lost interest in it because of the computer savvy requirements of my old brain. . . so it sits, within a couple days of being operable. . . hoping that i can finish it and sell it to someone thats up for the challenge. life goes on until it doesn't. . . so I'm gonna keep on keeping on for the time being anywayIMG_2457.jpg

Back