RF30 or RF31

Investigator

H-M Supporter - Gold Member
H-M Supporter Gold Member
Just curious, I have seen reference to both model numbers but cant figure out if there is any difference. I realize they are somewhat generic numbers since that machine design is imported by so many dealers. Can anyone tell me the difference or specifics of both?

I honestly don't know the difference. Both have the same specs so for all practical purposes, they're the same. We know at least the bearings are the same, right?

Yup, so far all the other parts like X &Y split nuts are the same. I'm convinced the difference was cosmetic. I've also seen different Z stops for the different models. I guess it's just where they were made (Taiwan or China) and who they were made for.

I wonder if at one point one model was an upgrade, like maybe it had power down feed or something like that. Be curious to see some older models to compare. I could see the factory doing away with the less popular model, and having only one model with options. Right now, Rong Fu only has the RF31, with the RF31NSF having power down feed.

RF30 is discontinued?

Yes, but only discontinued by Rong Fu. Others still make RF-30 style machines but as far as I know RF-30 & RF-31 are basically the same, at least I could never find any definitive differences.

When I was searching for a mill, I always wondered what Rong Fu's numbers meant. I used to think it was the size of the table but that didn't seem to be true. Rong Fu lists their RF-31 table to be just under 29". And others who make these style mill drills may offer different table sizes. A RF-45 doesn't have a 45" table either.

So what do Rong Fu numbers mean? They use the metric system right? Well mostly, many Rong Fu & other Taiwan made machines use SAE fastners. Closest thing that I found that made sense is their recommended max drilling capacity. But that's still off, closer but not spot on. RF-31 is listed to have 32mm drilling capacity, RF-45 is 40mm.

I guess we'll never know. :cower:

don't know just posted the manuals for reference

If it is any help, here is my Enco/RF30 I bought new 16 - 17 years ago.Enco RF30.jpg

Back