• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.
  • Some users may still have issues remaining logged into the forum. Please delete old bookmarks. If you are still having issues, go to the Site Issues forum here and let us know EXACTLY what you clicked on before the login issue arose, so we can try to track it down. We are working on this, and appreciate your patience. Thank you.

[4]

RF30 y axis DRO mounting ideas?

January Project of the Month [3]
[10] Like what you see?
Click here to donate to this forum and upgrade your account!

C-Bag

H-M Supporter - Premium Member
H-M Supporter-Premium Member
Joined
Feb 9, 2017
Messages
199
Likes
145
#1
hi all,

I have an Enco RF30 made in '88 that I'm putting igaging 3 axis DRO on. I previously made a mount for the Z, and modded it for the new remote DRO. I think the X axis will be no problem, but the Y axis is a bit of a challenge. I don't want to start down a complicate solution so if somebody would do me a favor and post some of their solutions I would appreciate it. I did a search and couldn't find something close. I'm also curious how to deal with covering the ball oilers on the X with the DRO.

Thanks in advance.
 

C-Bag

H-M Supporter - Premium Member
H-M Supporter-Premium Member
Joined
Feb 9, 2017
Messages
199
Likes
145
#3
Thanks, it was interesting and gave me an idea that should work.
 

C-Bag

H-M Supporter - Premium Member
H-M Supporter-Premium Member
Joined
Feb 9, 2017
Messages
199
Likes
145
#5
Thanks Frank and Mike.

It's funny how one was the same machine, but not the same DRO. The other a similar DRO, but different machine. So while it would be great to find same machine, same DRO, I still got a lot of ideas.

I looked at and lusted for the DRO Pro's system, but at over $1200 (4x's what I paid for the old mill/drill) and being on a tight budget it was hard to justify. That install did give some great info on testing the system which showed in one axis .009 in 3" error! I think I would be very dissapointed after spending 10x's what I paid for the igaging to have that kind of error. But it remains to be seen what the igaging will do after I get it installed. The old saw "you get what you pay for" keeps ringing in my head. But the old igaging I had on the Z axis proved to be dead on, so I have hopes for this.
 

C-Bag

H-M Supporter - Premium Member
H-M Supporter-Premium Member
Joined
Feb 9, 2017
Messages
199
Likes
145
#6
Got everything installed and as often happens I decided now was the time to take care of some nagging maintenance. There was always around .100 slack in the X&Y with no access hole in the table with 1/4" steel top to adjust with. So pulled the mill off and plasma an access hole. Then was able to pull the X&Y screws and nuts and thoroughly clean, inspect, lube and adjust. There several other minor details like plugged oilers etc, but what a difference. Now .007 slack in both with smooth even travel now.

Upon finishing the igaging install did a test with my 123 blocks and my old B&S BestTest DI, the X was consistent .001 short in 3" and returned to 0 perfect. The Y was same and the Z was .0005 short in 3" and both returned to their respective 0's dead on. For $135 for 3 axis I'm a very happy camper. Done a couple of projects and it has really upped my game. Once it get used to the whole idea of not guessing where I'm at, I think the next addition will be to go the BluDRO interface.
 
Last edited:
[6]
[5] [7]