RF31 x axis power

jireh

Registered
Registered
New to the sight and to the RF31. I purchased an AI 310s feed but the feed is designed for 5/8 (16mm) and my screw is 17mm and pinned not keyed. Do I bore the brass gear to 17mm or turn the screw to 16mm ? what about the key vs pin situation? Thanks in advance.

Can you make a short adapter as a go-between? Then extend the power feed on "stilts" to fit
-Mark

I think the gear could be easily bored to fit as I was considering do that to the power feed I just installed.
I would not reduce the lead screw diameter.

Would it be possible to contact the seller or maker to obtain the correct drive gear? @darkzero has the same model but it appears his drive gear is the appropriate one for the RF mill.

If they cannot supply the right drive gear, can you return the unit? If so, the Align 500D is a direct bolt up for the RF-31, is cheaper on MSC and is a quality unit made in Taiwan. We discussed these drives here.

AL-310S is just the p/n for the power feed drive/motor assy. It doesn't denote which mill it is for, it's used with various kits.

Did you buy a power feed for a knee mill or for a mill/drill? If you have a brass gear with 5/8" bore it sounds like you bought one for a knee mill.

If you buy one for a mill/drill it will come with everything you need to bolt onto any of the Rong Fu mill/drills. It will come with a spline gear that takes the place of the stock handwheel & is driven by the spline, held on with a set screw, no key needed. And from what I have seen the gear is always steel & comes with a 17mm bore.

202-2207R1.jpg

If your power feed came with a bracket & gear that looks like this, it's for a knee mill. You can still use it but you will have to modify parts to adapt it to work with a mill/drill.
41NUYMMBxjL._AC_.jpg

Power feeds for mill/drill, like the one you need for your RF-31, will look similar to this. Note the mounting bracket & gear. Some will relocate the rapid switch to the mounting bracket, some will not.
$_1.JPG202-2207q_1.jpg

I've purchase powerfeed replacement parts from Bestline Products before but they don't list the spline gear I was referring to on their site. They might be able to supply it for you if you give them a call but it may not help you much as it's designed to be used with the power feed drive mounted horizontally & you'll need the mill/drill bracket for that. If the brass gear pictured above is what you have, you'll need to mount the power feed drive vertically.

Back