Rhodes shaper added to my shop

tweinke

Active User
H-M Supporter Gold Member
Picked up this Rhodes shaper from a member here. been doing a little basic cleaning and adjusting to get to know it a bit better. The search for a manual of any kind has proven to be a real challenge any one have any info about lubrication and adjustments?
DSCF0616.JPG

Hi Todd
Really nice looking shaper. Someone will have a manual, I'm sure.
Cheers
Martin

Nice machine. I'm looking for a manual as well. Coming up empty. Check out vintagemachinery.com for a couple of flyers.

Ted

Thanks guys! It certainly is not in perfect condition but I think it is usable. I think a manual may be hard to find if there ever was such a thing. All I seem to find is sales literature. I suppose that its possible that there was never any operation/maintenance manual. I am looking forward to learning shaper work, knowing it may not be the fastest way to do things.

Question for you.....is that "line" that's connected to the top of the motor framework just above the counter shaft pulleys a lubrication line or is that just an "adjustment handle" to adjust belt tension? If its a lubrication line, is the framework used as the "Oil tank?"

So then that is a tension adjustment for the belt?
that's what it look like to me. I don't see any other way to adjust the tension between the pulley's. It also looks like a lock nut on the shaft, but hard to tell for sure.

Even if you had a manual if it's like the one for my Atlas 7b, the only good thing is a parts breakdown. There is very little about it that is not obvious from looking at the machine. And it was a bit confusing trying to understand how to adjust the stroke. One thing that is prominent on the 7b is the oilers on the ram ways, does yours have that? Some of the shapers like the South Bend had pressure oiling so it was taken care of I guess. The 7b is more like an electric steam engine in that it needs oil everywhere there's a port and grease in it's cups and I put it on the bullgear everytime I do a run.

Have you seen this site for general shaper info?

There's shaper use info out there, but I've pretty much given up on an operator's manual for my Rhodes... I'm guessing back in WWI time manuals were not even thought of much when a company sold machines???

Ted

Back