Rhodes Shaper Rebuild

Re: Rhodes Shaper

Wow! Love this thread! Nice shaper, and nice work!

Bernie

Thanks Bernie!

Though my scraping is still pretty bad, I figured a flat surface scrape on the graduated vice base was something I could reasonably handle.
Rather than indicate it on the lathe to true the first surface I decided to see how much effort it would take to just scrape that one flat.

Got it within a couple tenths but that was just too much effort. Had tried doing much of it with my flat pull scraper.
That scraper is is generation one and I'm thinking on how I want to make gen II as it's not very good.

With one side now flat I put it on the rock and the indicator said the second side was 0.0027" out.
Put it on the lathe and faced it. Still had several tenths to clean up.
There's a few small spots where I gouged too deep and they indicate 2 to 2.5 tenths but they are very small and not by the bolt holes so I'm discounting them.
IMG_9487 - Copy.JPG 0.0001 was the final reading on this 6" circle.
That was a lot of work and I'll use the machine tools to do most of it next time as well as make better use of the scrapers.

Checked the bottom side of the vice. The top isn't finished but its close enough that the vice didn't rock for this check
IMG_9491 - Copy.JPG
1.2 mills to true it up.
Think I'll take a brake from scraping and work on other things for a bit.

IMG_9487 - Copy.JPG IMG_9491 - Copy.JPG

I used scrounged ( naturally) pillow block bearings. It cuts nicely and gives an excellent finish. Accuracy is a little off as I get about .002-.003 taper front to back in about 3". Don't anticipate making it better. Serial number is 830 which seems to predate 1916. 1/2 HP X 40 rpm = 800 some foot Lbs of torque, I run the belt about 1/2 loose.

Oh boy, Jim I failed to see or read if yours has gibs, I see your post #7 take an average and dont discount cheating, using valve
grinding compound ( to flaten it out) some shapers even use paper for shims, these are pretty well forgiving, tight- not too tight on the ram.
then after all said, try it, tweek it. My scotch yoke block was 'a little thin' for my liking so I milled a little and machined wear plates.
so I now am tottally silent. And as far as a contest, its all in the grinding and honing. I can do a mirror. didnt come over nite either.
clean that valve compound hospitol clean - check clearance- remove shims as nes sah seary. (cant spell my way from a paper bag)

rethinking this It cant be bad I think it needs a little tlc..........
samuel

Theres a lot of work, scraping and painting n such before mine will run.
Have been thinking about counting the number of parts that compose this machine since its in parts.
There's more than I had expected.
Plan to break it in nice and the tweeking will be part of the fun.
Am surprised to find some components are so far from true and wander how many other machines out there are the same.

I have two Rhodes shapers, one I don't need. It's a bench top, no large base but with the mounting base to a bench. Needs a pulley system and motor, it does have a vice. If you interested, there are picture on this site under Other brand of machinery, foot power lathe Carroll Jamieson. If you want to restored it, I would trade for almost anything. Have to want to restore it, in good shape for a 90 plus year old machine. I live in Pittsburgh area.

Chester
Thanks for the offer. I would like to have it, especially as I could put what I'm learning into it and learn more from it.
Trouble is, shipping would probably be way too high. Too bad it won't fit in one of those USPS boxes that seem to have no weight limit.
I will try to get an idea of what shipping would be. Seems the machine you have with the foot probably weighs 325 lbs but thats my guess.

Looked at your lathe project while I was in the thread. What a neat machine.
Those sheave and leg castings are beautiful. A great piece of history there.

Wow, you want to restore it that much, it your. Maybe some people on this site can help you get across country?

Truck lines require more information than I have to get a good estimate.
I've noted that companies that ship often could get it done for around $120 but that probably won't apply to the individual.
UPS could do it but that would cost more like 180 to 220 bucks and it would be best to break it down into three packages for handling.

Cost of moving things across the country really increases the overall price but not the value.
If I'm looking to get something heavy I try to get it at a retail that has regular shipping or Enco's free shipping days.
Looks like shipping is just too expensive.
Thanks for the offer.

Back