Riser block build.

Looks great! Looking forward to more pics of the fly cutter!

Yeah.... beautiful work. It’s on my.... “Very long to do list “

I too would love to see more of your fly-cutter. Impressive results.

Ok so I posted a few pics of the cutter. I made a small block with one side straight that push up agains the flycutter body and the other side at a slight taper. This causes the block to push the insert tight against the body when bolted in. The slot was milled at a 15dgr angle to provide a rake angle for the insert. You will see there is another hole in the little block,but that was a mistake. With this cutter I can use old inserts and just sharpen the on a diamond wheel. So I have an endless supply of skimming tips. I hope you get the gist of it from my pics. Thanks guys.
20200225_134246.jpg
20200225_134201.jpg
20200225_133959.jpg
20200225_133421.jpg
20200225_133342.jpg
20200225_133250.jpg
20200225_133215.jpg

Nice work! I noticed your head doesn't nod... how did it look when you trammed your head? Did you have to shim it to align it fore/aft?

I've got one Jet 2/3rds Bridgeport clone mill that is a little vertically challenged and I was thinking about making a riser for it, but that too has no noddng capability and I figure I would have to shim the riser to get it trammed in correctly for use. I know it could be scrapped in, but I don't have the equipment or knowledge to do that correctly...

Ted

Nice work! I noticed your head doesn't nod... how did it look when you trammed your head? Did you have to shim it to align it fore/aft?

I've got one Jet 2/3rds Bridgeport clone mill that is a little vertically challenged and I was thinking about making a riser for it, but that too has no noddng capability and I figure I would have to shim the riser to get it trammed in correctly for use. I know it could be scrapped in, but I don't have the equipment or knowledge to do that correctly...

Ted
Ted no it doesn't nod,not even if I ask a simple question like are you feeling blue today:laughing:. In all seriousness, long before I thought of doing a riser,I trammed the bed in by shimming it at the back of the head where the head and the ram meets,you can't see it but it is there,I didn't even think of shimming at the bottom now that you said it.
1582698323262877597465.jpg
So in my mind I thought if I flycut the riser parallel to the head as it istrammed in now,I should be ok. And it worked for me. When I check it after installation, it was 0 from the back of the bed to the front. My suggestion is,do it as soon as you can,I think you will be happy you did. Just remember if you do have a DRO,check your Z-axis scale length. I just recently got my DRO,but I factored in that I am planning to raise the head and ordered the scale accordingly. Good luck and enjoy.

Attachments

• 15826981477401771609665.jpg
    15826981477401771609665.jpg
    547.9 KB · Views: 9
very cool! I'm planning to do just this with my 6x26 mill as the lack of headroom is a constant pain. I'll remember the dip of skim cutting it on the mill itself, though I should really figure out if it's in tram first :)

I am glad I could inspire or make you revisit your plan to do this mattthemuppet(gees that is a lot of t's in there)2.

Great job , doubleboost on YouTube built one on his small knee mill and he really uses his mill like it's a full size Bridgeport style. Have an enco little knee mill and if I ever get well enough you can be sure ill be doing mine too. God I hate being screwed up

I am glad I could inspire or make you revisit your plan to do this mattthemuppet(gees that is a lot of t's in there)2.

it's on the list, just hasn't quite made it to the top yet :) I do have the material to do it and I'm hoping to get to it this summer all things going well.

Back