Riser Block (Clausing 8520)

Thank you very much for posting in such detail Joe!

A project I'm about to embark on myself. Do you find the height perfect, or if you did it again would you tweak it up or down?

Thanks again,
Ron

For my uses, I wouldn't go any higher.. when the knee is raised to the top of the column dovetail, the spindle is just kissing the top of my vice.. I'm sure at that height I'm getting close to the end of the knee lead screw & I'm not sure how many threads are left but i suspect i still have plenty of engagement as is... any higher is no-man's land. Its still seems plenty rigid with the riser & definitely worth the box of donuts I paid for the material! ;)

Last edited:
Thank you! I bought a 7.75 OD 6.0 ID pipe for this project and the 8x1 discs from your shared eBay link. Hopefully will work with the increased diameter pipe. Cost a little more than a box of donuts but still worth it. I don't have a large enough lathe, so I'll have to outsource that part of the operation.

Thank you! I bought a 7.75 OD 6.0 ID pipe for this project and the 8x1 discs from your shared eBay link. Hopefully will work with the increased diameter pipe. Cost a little more than a box of donuts but still worth it. I don't have a large enough lathe, so I'll have to outsource that part of the operation.
The only dimensions that really matter are:

riser top pocket ID (5.25" +.001-0)
riser top pocket depth (0.563" +/-.05) *deep enough to clear the rough casting on the bottom of the turret casting (see pics above)

riser base boss OD (5.249 +0-.001)
riser base boss height (.375 +/-0.05)

The total height & other dimensions are up to you, just don't run out of knee lead screw with a riser taller than 5.5". Honestly, 4" is probably technically more rigid & I only went taller so I could mount a drill chuck & have headroom for the rotary table with standard length bits.

Makes sense - Thank you! I'll share my creation when complete

Back