Riser Block (Clausing 8520)

New home for this project.

Gotta start somewhere. Look into the bore on the column. There is not a lot of room to get the two bolts that hold it together in there. Only about 3/16 clearance. Now look at the two bolt holes in the frame itself. The bolts are in there to hold that part on and are deep enough to add two locating pins. Voila, clearance solved.

It's a start, now to get the material.

"Billy G" :thinking:

rbp (750 x 563).jpg

On paper and looking OK. Upper and lower 3/4" plates to be welded on. Should be massive enough to stop any vibration.

rbp (800 x 600).jpg

OK, now I get it. -Duh. Was wondering how a "spacer" was going to gain you space. -The spacer is in the column... :phew:

The new design is 4" high not 3". I will be 19 + inches spindle to table. Material ordered from "Speedy Metals" an hour ago. Should be here Tuesday. Revised print.

rev (800 x 600).jpg

Flanges top and bottom are 1018, I have them in hand.(7.250X1.000) The tubing (DOM 1020) is 6.500 OD 5.250 Bore 3" long. Gives me a 5/8 wall.

"Billy G" :))

Last edited by a moderator:
I never leave anything to chance. This is a wooden mock up of the riser block. I will clean it up tomorrow and see how it fits up.

m-u (800 x 600).jpg

The wooden riser is installed and bolted down. This is why I make models, it has good distance but could and will be 1" higher. That will take the spindle to table distance to just over 18" total. That's a usable number. Had I made it from steel it would have cost close to $50.00. Don't like to waste that kind of money.

"Billy G" :whistle:

Gotta get to that other end of the shop. It's been dormant so long you can't find anything in there. I can't remember the last time I got to the library. :lmao:

m-u 001 (800 x 600).jpg

With the knee all the way down (bad) there would only be 4" of usable space with the dividing head in the vertical position using the chuck. I need more. Add 1" as said and it will be good to go. Add 2" and we are even better.

m-u 002 (800 x 600).jpg

Did you ever finish your riser block, Bill? What height did you finally decide on??

Let's see some pics!!

Haven't done it yet Terry. A few things need to be finished up before I break the mill down.

"Billy G"

Back