riser block for a grizzly g0796

The riser block allows taller work to be milled without running out of downward knee travel. It does make the minimum table to spindle distance larger as well, and so might require blocking up smaller work to be able to reach it. There is also some amount of rigidity lost by adding the riser block, probably not a serious issue. Basically, if you do a considerable amount of bulky work is probably makes sense, if you do nearly all small work it is probably more trouble than it is worth.

Nice job , something I'm planning on doing to my little enco mill. Only I have to make it , not even sure the diameter on my mill. But if doubleboost can do his I can do mine. Only not 9" I figure 4-5" for my needs. Trying to find material for it. Found some 7 1/2 " diameter 8620 but I better get the size from one or mine. Just sucks to be stuck in bed .

Bollocks, wish I had dimensions for mine. I think I read on here that it's the same as Bridgeport but I think to not lose spindle to table one might have to adjust spacer to 4-6 inches. I think Dale Derry had 7" I believe which I don't like because the quill wouldn't touch the vice, so that means it would limit work on the table. I do like the fact that he said it raises the table to a more comfortable height for normal use.

My 3 friends all bought the same 10X54 Modern Tool mill and 2 of them have riser blocks and one doesn't. They were bought as part of the purchase, installed by the vendor. My friend that doesn't have the riser block really regrets it as putting a vise with a swivel loses enough vertical space even small work is tenuous. (BTW to order it with the mill was $700 installed - after the fact, it came to $2200 without installation - go figure!)

If you use a rotary table or indexer often, a riser block is really desirable as well. My mill came with 25" of Z travel, so a riser block isn't needed in my case. So check out your machine specs; a lot of them have around 16" of Z travel. You can always take it out if you don't like it, but not having it can be a pain!

Icerepairs, other youtubers have raised their machines on the base to achieve the same result!

Hello the mill is a close clone in many areas I didn’t expect. With only 15.5 inch travel limit of the knee plus 5 from the quill why should the quill touch the table? No operation I can forsee would that be needed. This is without a collet. In my work, a 5 inch thick vise and 5 of reamer plus an inch of parallels leaves just four inches for work piece at the lowest knee setting. Not very useful, but the riser opened that up to ten. Think boring tool, 90 degree offset adapter, vostro rotary adapter these all need extra range. That’s what a riser gives you.

I have a 4” and 6” riser for my BP. They have been sitting on the floor for decades. I suppose the day will come. When you need the height, there is no substitute. I’ll be ready…Dave

Thanks everyone. I'm thinking it would be best to have the riser before the mill arrives so I could install it while setting up the mill and be done with it. I just have to find out what the dimensions are somehow or a part number that works for sure. I'm not against building one. I'm not sure I can chuck something that big....HMMM. Guess I could see what my ole buddy James Greene knows about it. Or if someone on here could share a source to find the one I need. Thanks again. Hope I'm not beating this Horse to death.

I have a 4” and 6” riser for my BP. They have been sitting on the floor for decades. I suppose the day will come. When you need the height, there is no substitute. I’ll be ready…Dave
Would you entertain the thought of selling one if it is right for mine?

I think its a 10 inch riser I bought from Modern Tool, needed it for a project that never developed so it sat on the floor for a few years. Finally needed it and installed. Wouldn't be without it now. Brings the table up to a nice working height. I had to start using the swivel on the vice to bring it up and if working on the table I need to use a collet chuck to touch the table.

Greg

Back