Riten Live Center

ddickey

H-M Supporter - Gold Member
H-M Supporter Gold Member
I bought a new Riten on eBay for a very good price. The center that came had notchy bearings that could barely be rotated by hand and the point had a nice burr on it. The seller quickly agreed to get a replacement from MSC (MSC sticker was on the box). When the replacement came it looked like he had taken a fine sand paper to the point. There was no burr. The bearings feel better but every 180° there's a very noticeable notch that I feel. One body has an A on it the other, as you can see the etching is crooked. My gut is telling me something is not right here. Not sure how he could just call MSC and say I need another center at a 60 percent discount.
1547561102968.png
EDIT: I talked to Riten. They said it is highly unlikely there are any fake Ritens. Makes sense. If there was going to be a fake it would be a Royal I would guess. Also she said that sometimes they mark the centers with a revision. That must be what the A is. She said the etching was probably a mistake on their side.

Last edited:
Did Riten offer to replace it with a center that has good bearings?

No, they offered to repair for 35% of new.

Please explain why you would purchase a "new" tool on ebay that was bought from MSC then sold to you?
Would it not make sense to buy directly from MSC and eliminate the middle man?

I have worked in machine shops for a long time, if you buy a new live center that has marks on the taper it is used.

Because I was looking for a new center. Ritens are very nice but super expensive. A new RIten for more than 60% less than retail? I had to buy it!

Because I was looking for a new center. Ritens are very nice but super expensive. A new RIten for more than 60% less than retail? I had to buy it!
I understand now, you bought a used tool, just new to you.

Let me give you some professional machinist advice.
A live tool that someone is selling cheap is very likely clapped out and is being sold for this reason, live centers take a beating if used often in a job shop. If you want excellent hobby level (sub .0001") performance buck up and pay the $500.00 , you will not be dissapointed.

I agree.
But it was new. Another member here bought the other one that the seller was selling. His has no issues. I can and will return it. For a tool of this caliber when you rotate the center you should think, ooh that's nice, not what the heck is this?

Royal centers are difficult to turn by hand, the literature that is provided with them explains this.
If it had existing rings on the taper it is not new.

Okay now we're getting somewhere. I suspect they're stiff especially when new but this one has a noticeable notch or a very stiff spot every 180°.
There was no literature included in these though.

You could buy a Hardinge and be done with it .

Back