Riten - vs - Royal Centers

Bamban

Active User
H-M Supporter Gold Member
Is the price difference between the two brands a better value in the long run to go with the Royal?

I've only used Royals so cannot compare. The better centers from Ritten have the same run out as Royals (+/- 0.00005") and they both have the same 1 year warranty. They both will service and repair any of their centers. Rittens have a very good reputation so if I were to run across one for a really good price, I might try it.

On the other hand, Royals are said to be the best there is. My limited hobby shop experience would seem to support that.

MSC has some good prices on Riten centers, I may try one

Has anyone ever sent a center back to Royal to get repaired? I have one I bought used on e bay. It was quite old but brand new in the box. It seems to have about 004" runout.

Joe Hynes

I have a Ritten on my Clausing 5914, and it seems to work good. But, I have not experienced the Royal.
Only issue (not brand specific) is I wish I has saved up for one of the "CNC Style" centers which have more accessibility.

I would doubt one would be able to tell the difference between most live centers at the level of work that is done as a hobbyist. Most of these have a tolerance probably comparable or better than your lathe spindle bearing. I find it comes down more to the style and nose geometry that suits your type of work. I have about a 1/2 dozen from different manufactures, the higher end like my Swiss SFJ the bearings are like butter and it has a pressure indicator (spring loaded), but they all get the job done. Day to day, I primarily use the standard point SFJ (now sold by Ritten as the GPRTOPS) and an extended CNC point from Shar's. You do notice a quality issue with the Shar's as the bearing felt gritty and it took a while to wear in. I also have a Skoda with interchangeable tips that I like. I can't see spending big $$ on a Royal, or a new Ritten at list price to be worth the spend factor.
These might be worth looking at:

Mark made a good point. In my case to buy a live centre compatible with the overall quality level of my lathe and tools I would not have to pay much. However I would spring for a three bearing design with a spindle that extends all the way to the small end of the MT3 taper.

On the PM1440TV I turned a short barrel on centers, dead one on the TS, cylinder was spot on end to end. Replaced the dead without moving the TS position with a live.
A couple of heavy cuts and a finishing cut, not as bueno. Still good enough, but would rather have it just the same as the dead.

I did learn sometime ago to cut to specific dimension I let the material get back to room temp before making the finish cut or two.

Reactions: Z2V
Back