Riv-nut tool stage one

malmac

Registered
Registered
While it is quite inexpensive to purchase a riv-nut installation tool - but what fun would that be?

So today I started on making my own. The main thing I like about it is that I have one - just used scraps laying around - so no additional costs.

Also pleased with the 20mm x 1mm pitch I have used to give me better mechanical advantage when installing the steel riv-nuts.

Really just the adapters for the various thread sizes and the nozzles to suit.

Mal

riv nut tool design.jpg

rivnut tool stage one.jpg

Malmac
While I already have three or four rivnut tools I really like your idea. I’d like to make one of my own if you don’t mind. It looks like it makes it easier to hold the nut insert straight and true while setting it.

You are making this way more difficult than it need to be. I install riv nuts with a piece of flat bar with a hole in it, a screw with a few nuts on it, and an electric impact gun. This is how they did it at roush industries when I was working there

Last edited:
I use the "Special Tool" for Nutserts described in Vauxhall's Bodywork Technical Manuals, a length of flat bar, lightly roughened on one side with an angle grinder, a length of threaded rod, greased washers, a nut and a spanner.
It hangs on a hook in the garage and has been doing it's job faultlessly for over 35 years :D

Note all the different styles in the link that tozguy supplied. I do not think that all types are pictured, and they are all quite different in usage and have multiple installation recommendations. If you want thread inserts, it pays to do your homework. That is just one supplier of many, making different products. Many of them can be installed with fairly simple shop made tooling.

You are making this way more difficult than it need to be. I install riv nuts with a piece of flat bar with a hole in it, a screw with a few nuts on it, and an electric impact gun. This is how they did it at roush industries when I was working there

Yeah I do realise that it is way complicated - but hey this way I get to play in the workshop, use my TIG welder, milling Machine and lathe - how much more fun can a boy have? Well keep it clean!!!!

Malmac
While I already have three or four rivnut tools I really like your idea. I’d like to make one of my own if you don’t mind. It looks like it makes it easier to hold the nut insert straight and true while setting it.

Well we will see how well it works when it is finished - that will be the acid test.

Back