Rivet Lathe Collets

Glenn Brooks

H-M Supporter - Gold Member
H-M Supporter Gold Member
can anyone enlighten me on what various collet taper sizes Rivet sold with their series of lathes? And were these proprietary sizes, or standard size tapers such as B&S tapers??

I ended up with one "Rivet" 1/8" collet mixed in with a bunch of collets That came along with a Crystal Lake OD precision grinder I recently purchased from an estate. I have no idea why it was mixed in with the other collets, and am curious if there is a need or desire for rivet collets?

I am thinking of making up a set of rivet collets, based on the dimensions of this lone example, but have no idea if they would be of any use to anyone...

Thanks
Glenn B.

In the 13th edition of Machinery handbook there is a fairly complete list of collets and what machines used them.

Late to the thread I realize but in case it might help someone else out here's a link to a site that has a good Rivett reference guide to their collets and what fits what...

first go to > http://www.rivettlathe.com/

then open up the PDF sales brochure they have scanned in there from 1946 showing their various offerings.

The site is also a good read for anyone wanting a quick overview on the charms of this very interesting manufacturer, although it appears to have fallen off as of late with new materials and supplements being added. With that in mind I think I will upload the collet piece as a PDF. for posterity just in case the site ultimately is taken down.

Attachments

• Rivett collets.pdf
    1.7 MB · Views: 6
Glenn, now that you have a collet, you need the lathe to go with it. Rivett lathe on CL for $500.00: it's in Canby. :)

I'm one of the two guys behind rivettlathe.com and I'm the reason no new content has been going up. Too busy working on my machines! But the site will stay up for the foreseeable future. Rivett used a dizzying assortment of collets, mostly their own. A few off the top of my head: Rivett #'s 3 4 and 5 (these were later called "old style "), 3NS, 4NS and 5NS ("new style"), 6R, 7R, two Cataract sizes 4c and 5c, and 3 different watchmaker collets. I'm sure I'm forgetting several more. Plus Rivett made collets for other manufacturers. At one time Rivett was the largest manufacturer of collets in the world.

-- Greg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Back