Rivett 608 just moved in

Aaron_W

H-M Supporter - Sustaining Member
H-M Platinum Supporter
This was one of those things I didn't know existed until it ran across my path. I added it to my Christmas list (my wife is awesome) and just got it moved in.

It is a Rivett 608, an 8-1/2x21" lathe made from the 1920s until the 1960s and a competitor of Hardinge. This one was made in 1931 or 32 based on the serial number. They also made one with a gear box and a larger spindle that could take 5C collets, this one uses an unusual 4NS collet. I found a great website for these lathes which gave me a ton of information. Rivett Lathe dot com

This one apparently spent some time with the US Navy, as it is marked with an anchor and USN. According to the Rivett site, these were popular with the Navy and many were used on ships and in repair depots.

I made a backsplash and drip pan for it, and got it moved into its new home tonight. I don't think the motor set up is original but it seems to work well. The lathe itself is in great shape, particularly considering it is 88 years old.

Rivett 608 1.jpgRivett 608 2.jpgRivett 608 3.jpgRivett 608 4.jpg

It didn't come with a ton of stuff, but has a couple of chucks (1-5/8"-12 thread), some drill chucks for the tail stock, a collet closer, and a set of change gears so most of the critical items.

Rivett stuff.jpg

those are fabulous lathes, super sturdy and precise for their size. Congratulations!

That is beautiful!

those are fabulous lathes, super sturdy and precise for their size. Congratulations!

It is a lot heavier than it looks too. I thought no big deal it's a small lathe one person on each end, we gave it a test lift... Luckily the seller had a forklift and I used my engine hoist when I got it home. I mean 2 guys could probably do it if highly motivated, but I know I would have felt it afterwards. The Rivett catalog I downloaded says it weighs 350lbs.

That is beautiful!

I'll admit the polished steel and brass are what first got my attention. After I found more information about these lathes I realized I had the opportunity to give something very nice and rather unusual a home in my shop.

yes, those are in a whole 'nother class compared with other lathes of their size, even from the same era. A real "thinking man's lathe" - dovetail slides for the carriage, big bore (5C?) spindle, axis locks everywhere. If I weren't super in love with my SB heavy 9 I'd be jealous :)

on my bucket list if i can ever find one

Back