Rivett 608 PV $2k

Wow, just did my usual CL cruise through and now he wants $3k! Didn't see many of those that go up instead of down. Always makes me wonder did they get mad at the low ballers or did they think they listed too low? Seems as though there has been an odd jump in all the machine tool prices....wazzup wit dat?

I had a daughter of a guy who passed bump the price up on me because someone who couldn't get to it in time told her what she had. The Van Norman only went up by $200 but kind of crappy someone would do that. Anyways while I was picking it up I found the tail-stock and dividing head that was tucked away with 3 plates.

Plus the slotting and high speed spindle attachment that came with made it worth while.

CL is pretty frustrating and miraculous in equal parts. You really have to do your research and know what the local market is. Some places are tool deserts and they can and will demand higher prices. For me the most frustrating is the relatives of the original owner. They have no clue and somehow pull these prices out from "Pickers" or Antiques Roadshow or worst of all Ebay. $200 is not fun surprise but even less is $1k! And somehow wanting 75% of present new price for a decades old machine that sold originally for a quarter of what they want makes my head swim. Then these hobby size machines going for 2-3x's a larger industrial machine....wow. There is a quite a few basket cases showing up saying was going to rebuild and now apart. Along with several supposedly rebuilt machines with paint jobs and no details about what was supposedly rebuilt with premium prices. Sounds like you did good. Definitely buyer beware.

Back