Robertson No4

buffcleb

Registered
Registered
Just picked this up today...

any idea how old it is? any manuals around for them (a quick google search didn't yield anything)... it has a 8x8 inch capacity and built in coolant system.

We put it in my yukon with a forklift... to get it out I'm to partially disassemble as I don't have a forklift of my own. I'm thinking of mounting it on a dolly so I can move it around... probably weighs 400 pounds give or take...

the previous owner had two other powered hacksaws... he was looking to make room in his shop...

I have a photo of the serial number tag but am waiting for that one to be approved so I can post it...

There's a bit of info at vintagemachinery.org

Looks like 1912 - 1945 is the date range, I'm guessing yours is towards the 1945 end of that scale just judging by the castings.

-frank

image.png

There's a bit of info at vintagemachinery.org

Looks like 1912 - 1945 is the date range, I'm guessing yours is towards the 1945 end of that scale just judging by the castings.

-frank

View attachment 230797

thank you... I saw the images on that site but looked again and saw this http://vintagemachinery.org/pubs/2800/4900.pdf

which tells me one of the things I needed to know... mainly where the oil goes :)

this one was a 3/4 hp motor... old but seeing as they came with 1/2 hp probably not original... other then that it looks really nice... no broken parts or welds... without the motor it weighs 465 according to the pdf... so well over 500 pounds probably with it... and about 50 pounds of grime :) no wonder my yukon is squating a bit...

What a beautiful old beast! Keep the pictures coming.

will do... it's snowing today so its staying in the truck... I have some time tomorrow morning to start taking things apart so I can get it into the shop... at 500 pounds there's no way to lift it out otherwise...

Great find , they never well hardly ever breakdown. Seems like the blades are getting cheaper too. I bought a full box of 14" awhile back and there cheaper on some of the eBay sites . Are you doing a complete renovation . If so we love pictures.
Hey welcome to the best machinist site. Sometimes we even have fun. Thanks we love old iron.

Great find , they never well hardly ever breakdown. Seems like the blades are getting cheaper too. I bought a full box of 14" awhile back and there cheaper on some of the eBay sites . Are you doing a complete renovation . If so we love pictures.
Hey welcome to the best machinist site. Sometimes we even have fun. Thanks we love old iron.

thanks.... first things first... I need to get it out of my yukon... when I called the guy on it he said it probably weighed 300 pounds... this was not even close... my guess is 600 with the motor... I spent today removing the motor, vise, saw, arm the saw rides on, flywheel and shroud... tomorrow I'm heading to my cabin where I have a tractor with forks... I'm going to transfer it to a trailer and bring the rest back... I'm planning on mounting wheels on it to make it mobile...

I'm planning to de-grease it and check things out and get it working... I'd rather leave the remainder original paint... I like the look of a machine that shows it's history... I might end up painting the base as it shows some rust... the rest of the machine is just greasy... I'll be sure to post photos here along with videos on my youtube channel, http://youtube.com/buffcleb

So I partially stripped it down in the back of my yukon and drove down to our cabin when our tractor has a set of forks and transfer it to a trailer... drove back home and started the process of degreasing

Disassembled most of the upper half and started putting it back together... I cleaned the hydraulic lift pump and still have to do the coolant pump.

One thing that is missing is the clutch actuator parts that kicks in at the end of a cycle to stop the blade... If anyone has photos of this I'd love to see them

Here's the clutch

and a mystery part that I think used to be part of the actuator system...

Not bad for the first day...

more to come... I'll get some detailed photos of the two pumps once I get them both cleaned up... hoping to have it up and running in a week or so..

Still chugging along... I mounted wheels last night so its movable... I'll start adding the heavy bits back on tonight and clean the coolant pump... for now here's the first video I posted to my channel... just getting it out of the back of my yukon...

Back