Robertson No4

So I have a question about blades... I'll make a separate post if people don't see this...

Is there a rule of thumb for how many teeth should be engaged at the same time? I order some 10 tpi blades as thats what's installed already... but if I was cutting a 2x8 block of steel there would be 80 teeth engaged... vs a 2x2 which would have 20... I'm assuming there's a formula for what should work and what shouldn't... right...

So I have a question about blades... I'll make a separate post if people don't see this...

Is there a rule of thumb for how many teeth should be engaged at the same time? I order some 10 tpi blades as thats what's installed already... but if I was cutting a 2x8 block of steel there would be 80 teeth engaged... vs a 2x2 which would have 20... I'm assuming there's a formula for what should work and what shouldn't... right...
You should have at least three teeth engaged in the work . This keeps the blade cutting on thin angle and
Tubing so the thinner the metal the more teeth you are going to need on the blade .
Thick stock can take a coarser pitch blade .
The trick is in the feed rate .
Set the feed and Surfice feet per min. Of the blade to where you are curling the chips .

IMG_5960.JPG

Last edited:
You should have at least three teeth engaged in the work . This keeps the blade cutting on thin angle and
Tubing so the thinner the metal the more teeth you are going to need on the blade .
Thick stock can take a coarser pitch blade .
The trick is in the feed rate .
Set the feed and Surfice feet per min. Of the blade to where you are curling the chips .

thanks...

My No 4 is a 1914 way older than yours original flat belt except a newer 110 Vt. motor. I can't figure out
where the oil pump picks up oil. There had to be some kind of oil reservoir somewhere? no signs of
tapped holes for it either. The cycle stop is a simple pawl that kicks off the clutch. Seems I see you are
cutting on the back stroke mine cuts on the forward stroke?? sam
112-1262_IMG.JPG
112-1262_IMG.JPG

My No 4 is a 1914 way older than yours original flat belt except a newer 110 Vt. motor. I can't figure out
where the oil pump picks up oil. There had to be some kind of oil reservoir somewhere? no signs of
tapped holes for it either. The cycle stop is a simple pawl that kicks off the clutch. Seems I see you are
cutting on the back stroke mine cuts on the forward stroke?? samView attachment 232202 View attachment 232202

Yes mine is cutting on the back stroke... lifts on the forward stroke...

are you talking about picking up oil for the lift pump or coolant pump? the lift pump sits in the reservoir... on your the silver thing the pump is in... just fill it up with the hydo fluid... the coolant pump on mine is plumbed to the base which acts as a reservoir... I removed several gallons of sludge from mine to clean it out...

I did a video just on the pumps and once I re-install the coolant pump I'll do another showing them both in action... my coolant pump draws from a nipple at the bottom of the pump...

If you could I would love to see some detailed photos of the parts used to disengage the clutch... I have the pawl on the saw and this part

but everything else is missing

except for the clutch parts

this if from the manual which I would read to cut on the back stroke... in order for it to cut in the opposite direction i'd need to move the mounting hole 180 degrees on the drive wheel...

Back