Robots Cant Weld very GOOD!!!

Riverlandrobo

Registered
Registered
Lots of Loggers are bringing me the big Jib boom And Mainlift cylinders.....the beautiful welds are leaking along the edges of the weld beads!!! Incomplete fusion of the weld bead to the parent metal....I blast it out with the air carbon arc rod....grind deep....preheat to 275 or so...6010 root pass, 3/32 -7018 hotpass 1/8 fill pass then a 1/8 capping pass.....on the much thinner bucket cylinders you have to be careful because these thin barrel cylinders distort badly..... more weld is BAD!! I usually tig weld the root.and put a lay wire cover pass over that with good ole ER70S2

Attachments

• 20200916_180021.jpg
    20200916_180021.jpg
    727.8 KB · Views: 33
  • 20200916_175945.jpg
    20200916_175945.jpg
    905.1 KB · Views: 32
  • 20200916_190322.jpg
    20200916_190322.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 32
Nice fix.
I don’t think it as much as robots can’t weld as poor robot programming and weld inspectors who are asleep at the wheel. Probably someone running a robot who has never welded before. Management who has to please the shareholder. Experimental that designs things to break 50 hours out of warranty.
I used to work for a company like this.
Cheers
Martin

Nice fix.
I don’t think it as much as robots can’t weld as poor robot programming and weld inspectors who are asleep at the wheel. Probably someone running a robot who has never welded before. Management who has to please the shareholder. Experimental that designs things to break 50 hours out of warranty.
I used to work for a company like this.
Cheers
Martin
Yes.....but how does one program a robot to watch for cold lapping of the weld bead?? Those weld beads were beautiful and I couldn't believe they were leaking....but as I was air arcing the weld out I could see the no fusion line alongside of the bead...these didnt leak right away had a few hours on them.....I did have one delaminating from the inside of the barrel radially exiting above the Gland head Retaining Ring...that was a real head scratcher!!! Found that with air and bottle of Snoop

I love the look of welds done by someone that knows what they are doing. Unlike my welds.

The most amazing welding I have seen was done by hand because they could not find a robot that could do it. It was a 2 foot long butt weld of .020 thick 320 stainless.

I love the look of welds done by someone that knows what they are doing. Unlike my welds.

The most amazing welding I have seen was done by hand because they could not find a robot that could do it. It was a 2 foot long butt weld of .020 thick 320 stainless.
Good tig welder set to pulse the arc .....I've welded Wrigley's tin foil wrappers together......stainless is terrible to weld because of massive distortion....have to have a lot of tacks and maybe a Chill bar to control the distortion......laser or plasma welding might be the ticket for that one

Good tig welder set to pulse the arc .....I've welded Wrigley's tin foil wrappers together......stainless is terrible to weld because of massive distortion....have to have a lot of tacks and maybe a Chill bar to control the distortion......laser or plasma welding might be the ticket for that one
I've welded a lot of 317 stainless steel.....harsh Chemical environment Kraft mill pulling and chemical mixers....never 320 is that harsh chemicals also??

Back