Rockford 24 inch Shaper

wdgarrett

Active User
Registered
A very old and heavy Rockford 24 inch shaper that I acquired over 18 years ago. I bought it sitting in a cow pasture after the previous owner closed his shop and couldn't sell it quickly. I cleaned and repainted it but time and West Texas dust have taken their toll. I keep it covered with a tarp but the dust still gets to it and makes it looks rough.
I don't know it's age but would guess that it is late teens or early 1920's The previous owner converted it from a flat belt drive to a 3hp. 3 phase GE motor and a 4 speed truck transmission. It has all bronze bushings and flat ways.

[attachimg=1]

100_0728 (Small).jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Tony

No, I haven't made anything on it lately. In the past I mostly used it to make internal keyways in pulley, sprocket and gear hubs. I found it really beats having to rack a keyway with the lathe carriage. It is one of those machines that I really can't justify having but just sure as I got rid of it I would regret it. I don't have a big investment in it. Anyway it looks impressive sitting in the corner of the shop. LOL. ;)

Bill

Chengdave

The shaper runs quite well and smooth. It will still hold a good tolerance after all these years. Setting up a project on it can be a bear if you don't keep your wits about you. I have been known to break a cutting tool or two by not getting the ram and stroke set correctly. When you hit the start button it is too late to change your mind because it is so powerful that nothing is going to stop it from making a stroke. If I used it more often I am sure it would be easier to get a grip on the set up.
I don't have a video camera so I am unable to show it in action.

Bill

I love running mine. Just haven't had the demand lately. Done lots of large keyways, but more useful for spline work. There are a few jobs that aren't practical any way other than a shaper, for one reason or another. Usually price (in my shop) or quantity. I just enjoy enjoy the "clang, clang!" of the chips hitting the floor. The chips made are heavier than many carbide inserts common in the shop.

Turbo

I don't have an accurate weight on the Shaper but I will make a wild guess and say in the neighborhood of 3,000 lbs.

A shaper can do most anything a milling machine can and some things a milling machine can't. They are slow compared to a miller but can remove much larger amounts of metal in a single pass. The bright side is the tooling is CHEAP. Regular HS lathe bits can be ground for a shaper and reused over and over keeping the cost down for a home or hobby machinest. Where time is of little importance in the home shop a shaper is nice to have.

It has been said by others much wiser than myself that " you can make anything with a shaper except money".

Bill

Turbo

Yes, in comparison a shaper will do work more consistent with what a horizontal mill would. It removes metal one stroke at a time with a single tool bit instead of a rotary fashion by a circular milling cutter. Due to their lack of speed they have been replaced by milling machines for production work.

Bill

I much prefer to hear a shaper run than a milling machine. Cup of coffee and just listen and watch.

Pat

Back