Rockford/Hedwick MV100 Power Quill Feed

GTexas

Registered
Registered
I am currently restoring the power quill feed for my Rockford/Hedwick MV100 mill. The clutch for the Zero-Max type transmission had a ripped belt and was missing the spring and ball of the plunger for engaging the transmission via knob "E". This has all been fixed. I can engage the transmission via knob "E” and the handwheel by pulling out knob “F”, the speed can be varied at the Zero Max via lever “I” and the fine feed handwheel "G" turns accordingly. However each time I try to engage the clutch “H” the fine feed handwheel it stops immediately and there is no power quill feed. Even though the friction brake control “C” is loose and of course also the spindle binder lock “D” is loose it seems the clutch detects overload as soon as it engages and then disengages. Also, before engaging clutch “H” the fine feed handwheel can be easily stopped by hand. Otherwise the quill fine feed works well in manual mode. With knob “F” pushed in and clutch “H” pulled forward I can feed the quill up and down with the fine feed wheel “G” and lever “A” then moves accordingly.

Does anyone know how clutch “H” and the overload protection is supposed to work? I have a little gap on the shaft at lever “A” so the pin “MV-80101” is visible. I was wondering if this is normal or if a spring is required to push the shaft “MV-8045” to the left? Has anyone taken that feed mechanism and clutch apart? I would expect it can be pulled out to the right side but am not sure.

MV 100 Controls.jpg

MV100 Power Quill Feed.jpg

MV100 Hand Feed Lever Parts.jpg

Back