Rockford/Hedwick MV100 power table feed install

You are correct I am in error I did use a .200" Bridgeport dial not a .100" one.

I wanted to not make any changes to parts on my mill from stock so I elected to not do any more work than extending the lead screw (not sure why I was resistant to doing any machining on the mill, not like it's a collectable or anything it's a tool that works for me). I'm sure you could accomplish the same thing I did in many different ways.

Keep in mind if you have to do any milling on your parts your machine will be apart, unless you have a second mill? Least you will only have one axis to work in, in a pinch my thought had I needed to mill anything I could "rig up" a temp lead screw out of a threaded rod to cut a keyway if I had to. Making the stub shaft eliminated this problem as I could machine the keyway before taking the lead screw out of the mill.

Okay. The PO made a nice set of dials, but never finished numbering them. I just wanted to ensure before I decided to buy another set of dials or put the work into finishing what I have on hand
We have an older Grizzly mill at work that I can use and after some measurements I think I'll mill the end support flush IMG_2377_LI.jpg

This is the Grizzly we have at work with the Bridgeport style end bracket. Milling the Rockford bracket flush and installing the feed mechanism on it will move it to the right about 3/8". I have hand cranks on my MV100 vice hand wheels like yours and I think I will have enough length to make it work.
IMG_2379_LI (2).jpg

I hope you guys don't feel like I'm spamming the thread; I'm too excited to just wait until I receive my power feed and post up what I will have done! :)

No worries, you're just getting us back on track after I hijacked the thread. :) Glad to see Bruce inspired some other retrofits!

Cheers,
Will

My advice to anyone considering this retrofit is to follow Bruce's procedure. I basically followed his lead, but the extra steps I threw in were good for nothing but adding a little bit to my experience base. I'll add my installation pictures later, but, first I have to ask if anyone else has a power feed like mine.

In the downloaded drawings of the powerfeed note "C" gives directions for setting end play by dressing off the face of the bushing flange.
IMG_2469.JPG

I presume this is the procedure I would follow...
IMG_2467 (3)_LI.jpg

IF I had a set up like the drawing. Instead, I have a spring-loaded lever with a thumb wheel and my worm gear has a serrated end that engages with a bushing that is located in the cap. In lieu of any written instructions, I have been using my power feed by applying pressure with the lever to lock the bushing and worm gear.
IMG_2462.JPG

Using the lever on the transmission dictates my right or left direction, however, putting the lever in the "neutral" position only serves to stop my feed. If I want to hand-crank the saddle i have to disengage the cap lever shown above.
IMG_2447.JPG

After studying the drawings I have come to the conclusion that I "should" be able to crank the saddle with the cap lever engaging the worm gear, but am not able to because the end play is missing between the saddle screw nut and worm gear. Does the way I explained this make sense? It's not like I'm going to re-install the original power feed...I just want to understand it.

It's all good we all learn from each others experience. I'm glad I went the way I did with my table feed it's been working great, I'd still be messing with the stock one, I have enough "projects" already :D

adding to the thread in hopes to just catalog info on the rockford mv-100 in one place. i made the dangerous mistake of leaving the draw bar tool on draw bar while turning the machine on. it snapped the top of the draw bar off. i have had no info on this mill until discovering this thread and getting a hold of william. im in the process of trying to get the nut loose that holds the draw bar from being removed so that i can either weld or replace. attaching a few photos. if anyone has gotten this nut loose and removed the draw bar please chime in with technique tips or tricks. if anyone knows the exact spline size that would help as well so i can purchase the correct wrench. i have not gotten the thing to budge and am now letting it soak in some break free.
thanks
-dee

rockford.jpg

rockford 2.jpg

My drawbar top was rounded off when I got my machine and they were using a vise-grip to tighten/loosen it. I removed the drawbar and turned down what was left (mine was not broken off like yours though) to fit inside a machined out coupling nut, This was then pinned to the drawbar with spring pins as you can see in the picture.

I'm sorry but I do not recall how I removed the drawbar, probably going back 20yrs now for this repair?

drawbar nut.jpg

ok thanks bruce. wish i had some material to do a fix like that.
-cheers

update on draw bar. got the nut off which keeps the draw bar from coming out the top. the nut is LEFT HAND THREAD. once that was off it still took a gentle tapping with a punch up from the bottom to get the bar out. very tight fit which i thought was very odd. attaching some quick measurements and notes of draw bar. hope this info helps out anyone else that has this undocumented machine.
-cheers

ROCKFORD MV100 DRAW BAR.jpg

Attachments

• ROCKFORD MV-100 DRAW BAR.pdf
    694.4 KB · Views: 20
Awesome! Glad to see that you got the thing off safely. Are you planning on building a replacement drawbar that matches the original?

Cheers,
Will

Back