Rockford/Hedwick MV100 power table feed install

Sorry to spam a huge number of posts, but, attached to this one are pictures of the parts of my powerfeed that I do have. It looks to me like I'm missing 1) the handle that controls whatever those springs? clutches? are to get the variable speed; 2) the bevel gear that gets pinned to the worm gear to do forward or reverse switching like in the gearbox of the old Atlas lathe I used to have; 3) the motor and whatever motor pulley setup that's supposed to get this thing spinning to begin with; and 4) the matching gear to the worm that actually drives the keyway in the leadscrew.

Brucepts: how many of those parts do you have? How many of them would you be willing to part with? I'm happy to pay for parts and for shipping...

Everyone else: Could you take pictures of the handle that sets speed? The arrangement around the handle too, please?

IMG_20180122_190214192.jpg

IMG_20180122_190223616.jpg

IMG_20180122_190238910.jpg

IMG_20180122_190242120.jpg

IMG_20180122_190307929.jpg

IMG_20180122_190625031.jpg

Asm109: I read the quote below on the other forum, posted by member Chasport, and it makes me think that I'm missing something and should be oiling the spindle...

"I have restored mine and have had everything apart exept the drive shaft to head seal & bearing. very important the info that is out there does not mention the toilet seat oil fill port on top of the spindle that needs to be filled with #10 spindle oil. what do you need to know and what ser # is yours. Does it have the power feed and how long is the table and what brand name is on it."

I'll try and get out to the shed in the next day or two to take some pics of the power feed parts. If you can use any of it we can work something out. I'm not going back to using any of it and I doubt my machine will be a "treasure" for someone to put back to original.

My spindle leaks oil so I know it's getting oil from somewhere :)

Interesting, my power feed looks similar but has gears instead of the variable speed setup like yours. The variable speed setup looks like the same thing they use for the power down feed inside the mill. I was missing the engage and direction lever. Other than that I think I have everything else.

Thanks for the extra information you posted!

Edit to add pics:

feed parts.jpg
gear box - 2.jpg
gear box -1.jpg
gear box.jpg

Last edited:
Brucepts: Mine is missing all of the motor attachment pieces on the bottom (the pulley to the gearbox shaft, the idler and its mount, the belt and, well, the whole motor). Mine is also missing the bevel gear pinned to the worm shaft and the worm wheel that rides on the table lead screw. If you were willing to part with those parts, I'd be very interested. Heck, if you don't want to deal with teardown to send me just those parts, I'd happily take the whole pile and see what it takes to cobble it all together on my end, with however much help the folks in this thread can give me. I PM'd you and we can work out what exactly you want to do.

Update on my powerfeed: I spent some time in the shop sink with 6 oz of mineral spirits cleaning the darn thing up good enough to feel like I can handle it. My entire MV100 came in such a filthy, sorry state that it hardly bears description, and the partial powerfeed is no exception. I had to pick quite a few small metal chips out of that complicated cam stack arrangement, and I'm still not 100% sure I got them all, but it's way better than it was. Now that I can really see what I'm dealing with, I've noticed a few unpleasant spots on the cams, and I'm sorely tempted to tear the thing completely apart, remake a few things, draw it all up in CAD (Onshape, if anyone here has any expertise in that one) and put it back together just singing, potentially even with some new bearing bronze sleeves to keep realign everything, since I'm sure the ones there are pretty worn. Have any of you had the cam arrangement in the quill downfeed apart before?

Thanks,
Will

Can someone with a powerfeed take a picture of the nameplate on their motor? I want to see what I should be buying to not go too big.

Thanks,
Will

Some motor pics 1/4hp 3phase 220v 1/2" shaft diameter

motor.jpg

motor-1.jpg

motor-2.jpg

I talked to a couple of the mechanical engineers at work, and it turns out that the mechanism in the both the power quill down feed and the table power feed (on mine, not Bruce's original) are called Zero-Max drives[0]. The original patent, which looks a lot less like this power feed speed adjustment box than the first link, is here[1]. Interestingly, I was sort of under the impression that the MV100 was only sold in the 50's, and this patent was from the mid-60's...

In other news, I received Bruce's power feed on Monday and I've started disassembling it. I need to verify what, if anything, needs fixing inside that mechanism and decide whether or not I'm putting Bruce's parts on my power feed or my power feed forward/reverse lever on Bruce's. Still, progress is being made, if a bit slowly.

[0] https://www.zero-max.com/cd-adjustable-speed-drives
[1] https://patents.google.com/patent/US3340743A

Anyone still monitoring this thread,

Can you measure the travels on your MV100? Or in the alternative, tell me what size DRO scales you're using? The catalog ASM109 posted and the Logan version I had both say 18" of travel on the table, but I measured 24" on mine, edge of table in saddle, or 31" for the length of the threads on the table lead screw. I also measured less height on the knee screw before I was going to run into the spindle, about 12" vs. The catalog's listed 16 5/8."

I have a 42" table, from end to end, 36" if I measure just the t slots and not the troughs on the ends.

Thanks,
Will

I'm confused as to how you are measuring more travel? I get what the book shows for travel although I did not run my knee up and down to verify the manual.

Run the table all the way left or right and make a common mark on the table and knee, run the table in the opposite direction until it stops and then measure distance between the marks. Is that how you are doing it?

I currently have a Sony Magnescale LH10 display setup on mine but have only have one matching scale so I run a second older Sony display/scale so, basically I'm only using the displays and none of the features you would have with a single display. I have not found a second scale that I could use in my price range for my LH10 display right now.

I just bought a "Chinese" 2axis setup for my lathe and will probably end up buying a 3axis for the mill at some pint in the near future. I'm sure that is Heresy to the DRO gods but it works for me.

Buy your scales longer but make sure the overall length of the scale will fit in the space we have to mount it. I have not gotten to that project for the mill yet so I can't recommend scale lengths at this moment. But, will offer help and compare notes as I'm going to be doing it also. Chinese scales can be purchased in various resolutions sizes (slimline) and lengths if you buy direct.

Back