Rockford Machinery Drill Press

S

Spike

Forum Guest
Register Today
I picked this floor model drill press up twenty some years ago from some guy's junk pile. I derusted it some, replaced the wiring, and bought a new chuck for it. It's been fine ever since. The thing is I have seem many that seem to be exactly the same but with different brand names. What gives?
-Spike
DrillPressCart15_zps814a09f4.jpg

DrillPress2_zps9bbe79d5.jpg

mine, is over 20 years old, did have 1/2 hp ac, now 1 1/2 hp dc.

my drill press.JPG

Charl

Other than the name they could be twins! I wonder just how many brands the same machine was sold under. Mine works well but is nowhere near a precision tool, but since it found it half buried in mud and then have gotten twenty years of use from it I'm not complaining.
Thanks!
-Spike

Mine is a Cal-Hawk. I've had it over 20 years and used it hard. I just recently replaced the belts.

I have and identical one that is branded Orbit. I purchased it back in 1978 and haven't had any issues with it .

I think there were only two or three factories that made these drill presses. The best of them seem to have been from Taiwan.
Orbit was, I believe, the predecessor to Jet. I got an old Jet 17" floor model from a farm in Western Oregon a couple of years ago figuring just to fix it up a bit. Ha ha.
One thing led to another, spindle, spindle bearings, new rack to raise and lower bed, old column had a crack hidden by rust so new column and had to machine an adapter since I couldn't get the original dia. Then the icing on the cake was putting on a 1.5 hp DC motor and 60M controller. I turned off as much of the 'donkey tracks' in the plate as I could and still maintain good spacing for T nuts. It did have a decent US made Jacobs 5/8 chuck but not the one with ball bearings. My cheap fixer-upper turned into a major rebuild project. I actually like that old DP better than my much newer 20 inch Jet. DC motor with variable speed makes a big difference.drill presses 013.JPG drill presses 014.JPG drill presses 016.JPG drill presses 013.JPG drill presses 014.JPG drill presses 016.JPG drill presses 017.JPG
drill presses 013.JPG
drill presses 014.JPG
drill presses 016.JPG
drill presses 017.JPG
drill presses 013.JPG
drill presses 014.JPG
drill presses 016.JPG
drill presses 017.JPG
drill presses 013.JPG
drill presses 014.JPG
drill presses 016.JPG
drill presses 017.JPG
drill presses 013.JPG
drill presses 014.JPG
drill presses 016.JPG
drill presses 017.JPG
drill presses 013.JPG drill presses 014.JPG drill presses 016.JPG drill presses 017.JPG
Jerry

Mike, I think Orbit was rebranded to be Jet. I have an old Jet 17" with the blue label and it looks a lot like these others. I think there were only a couple of factories that made them in China/Taiwan is why they look so much alike and I bet lots of parts would interchange. I got mine from a farm as I wanted to convert a drill press to DC variable speed power and didn't want to do that to my very nice Jet 20MF that I bought new. The 17 inch press was a real project but once I was in it I plunged ahead with new spindle, spindle bearings, a new column as I found the original was cracked, a new rack to raise/lower the table and on and on. But I really like that 1.5 hp DC motor and controller. It has a good Jacobs 5/8 chuck which runs true.
Jerry
drill presses 013.JPG drill presses 014.JPG drill presses 018.JPG

There are many different machines that were made by the same companies but have different names on them. It is like that for many different products also.

Geez, where did all those photos come from. I thought I fixed that post. Apologies to everyone. Mea culpa, mea culpa.
Jerry

Back