Rockford Machinery Drill Press

I have 2 identical table models of the same drill press. One is Badged Rockford Machinery like yours. The other is badged Farm and Fleet. Both cost $125.00 each when I bought them new in 1978. At that time the manufacturer would put any name the wholesale customer wanted on the plate if they ordered a minimum of 500 machines. Rockford Machinery was one of their house brands. Blains Supply that owns the Farm and Fleet chain bought a couple hundred of the Rockford branded models to see how they would sell. When they sold out in less than 2 months they made an order with their own nameplate.

I bought the first Rockford branded one early in 1978. I liked it so well I went back for a second one. I was told unfortunately there were none available, but more were on order. When they came in I went to pick one up only to find it wasn't the same brand. At that time I was told it was exactly the same drill press with their own private label. Over the years I've made some changes to the wiring and lighting on both. As far as I can tell they are exactly the same down to the castings, motors, pulleys, and even the switches and belts.

Both of mine are nearly 40 years old. They get used nearly every day and are still going as strong as the day I bought them.

One of the first things I did to mine after making sure it worked was to gut the wiring and put all new in, I was able to salvage the switches but I replaced the bulb socket.

I agree, mine is a '78 model as well and I was serious when I said I got it from a guy's back yard where it had been laying on it's side half buried in mud for who knows how long. It is still running great. Put a new chuck on it and swapped to link belts and couldn't be happier.
-Spike

It's just like the ubiquitous Harbor Freight horizontal band saw. They've been manufactured for at least 40 years in Taiwan, and sold under countless trade names. :grin:

GG

You nailed it there GG. I have one of those band saws that was branded Clarke. I bought it used from a craigslist ad, tore it down, cleaned and painted it along with a quality blade and it has been great. No idea where it was made though.
-Spike
Before:
Horizontal Bandsaw (2).JPG

After:
Bandsaw Oiler (1).JPG

Last edited:
Back