Rockwell 10 Inch Draw Tube

gwarner

Registered
Registered
I finally found some 4C collets that I was willing to pay the asking price on. They should arrive soon.
I want to get started on making a draw bar. If someone could be so kind as to post the dimensions on the draw bar I would be most thankful. Based on my initial measurements it don't seem to have much room for error. I need the OD of the

If anyone has made their own I am wondering if you started with some piping or solid stock. If you used pipe where did you source it. Lastly did you harden it.

Hi gwarner,

I have an original 4-C collet closer for my 10 x 36. Let me know if you need any dimensions.

Bruce

CIMG3501.JPG CIMG3503.JPG

Oh yes I remember you from an earlier post, That is the same lathe that I have a pair of twins of.
If you could give me the OD of the shaft and the length to where it makes contact with the back of the spindle that would be great.
The ID will be determined by the threads I will need to cut. I will get those from the collets when they arrive.
I assume the shaft needs to be hallow all the way through so I can insert longer stock.
Does it have thrust bearings?

Just got home from work, will try to get out in my shop tomorrow for the dimensions. Mine does have a thrust bearing and is hollow.

Bruce

Here's a couple of drawings I picked up from somewhere on the internet that may be of help to you guys.
Ken
4C+Adapter.jpg 4C+Collet.jpg

Ken, Thanks for the measurements. Based on what I have researched I am going to try and make one from 3/4 inch schedule 40 pipe.

My big problem is I ordered the collets from 2 sources. The ones that came today were the best condition and the sizes and what I was most excited about. I went down to try one and it did not fit my lathes. After some measurements and research the ones I got today measured out to be 4s collets. I never even knew 4s existed until today.
I have contacted he seller and am awaiting their response.
Here is what I found
The threads on these are .982 and the bore is .998 and the length is 3.25
Here are the specs on 4s 0.998" 3.250" 0.982 x 20 RH
Here are 4C collet specs 4C 0.950" 3.000" 0.938 x 20 RH
I had got 5 of them for $30. i figured it was too good to be true:(

When I got home from work tonight my second order of collets came. These are 4c. YEEHAW.

I found a piece of 1" stainless pipe in my scrap pile that came off a treadmill.
Unbelievably I got what I would call a perfect fit on the threads with out screwing it up. Only took about 10 minutes Excluding setup in the steady.
Right now I have just an internally threaded pipe.
I am now at a point where I need an accurate measurement.
What is the length from the end of the bar where the threads are to where the tapered piece that touches the back of the spindle starts.

I also am wondering if that tapered piece actually seats the collet. Currently with just the pipe I can seat the collets. The threaded end presses against a raised ridge inside the spindle and pulls it in.
I only tired it with about 2 collets but both seemed to grip the stock firmly. However I am not sure it is seating it fully.

Any information would be truly appreciated. Thanks

Bruce, can you chime in and help gwarner since you have a actual collet setup?

Finally got a chance to get some photos/measurements. Hope you can read the dimensions off my hen scratching.

The OD of the "raw" draw bar tube is 1.052". The rotating collar is an OD of 2.000". The draw bar is turned down to 1.000" OD under the rotating collar on through under the aluminum wheel. I've got some dimensions for the working end of the collets and draw bar too. Hope this helps!

Bruce

20160220_073448.jpg 20160220_073617.jpg 20160220_073627.jpg 20160220_075609.jpg

Thanks Bruce the measurements were exactly what I was needing. The 10.38 was a little shorter then I had calculated via trial and error. I had mine at at 10 and 1/2' so I moved it in .12.
A few other differences are I cut the bevel at 30 degrees instead of 45 and my piece is fixed. It does not rotate. I may redo that at a later time
My draw bar seems to work well. I have already trialed it on several collets and it holds them tight and best of all concentric.
But I can see that the tightening action would cause wear on the back of my spindle.

For now I am calling this draw bar complete and am onto the thread protector. That one is very obvious and not critical so I wont need to bug anyone for assistance on that.

Thanks again guys.

Back