Rockwell 10 Inch Draw Tube

Thanks Bruce.

I apology for barging in with my first post. You are a great help! I don't care what the other half says!

Ken

Thanks Bruce.

I apology for barging in with my first post. You are a great help! I don't care what the other half says!

Ken
No problem! It was either get out in my shop and take some measurements or go out and cut firewood. Photo below is what we go through each and every year . . . 40 ft. long by 7 ft. high by 3 rows deep. I sometime feels like repeating Danny Glover's line from the Lethal Weapons series if you catch my drift!

Oh, did run 2 tanks through the Stihl 029 today. That's 19 tanks of fuel through the saw so far this year, usually run around 25.

Bruce

upload_2016-2-20_16-4-40.png

Thats a LOT of fire wood!

It hasn't got cold enough down here this winter to fire up the fire place, not even once. IT's almost 80 degrees outside! Have about six logs setting on the back porch just in case we get a chance to start a fire this winter.

Went to Lowes yesterday for some plumbing parts and while there I went ahead and picked up a stick of 3/4 schedule 40 black pipe.
Last evening I went ahead and made a second draw bar. The schedule 40 is the perfect choice for this project. The stainless I used was about .020 undersized on the OD.
I made it so the beveled piece rotates and thus will not abrade the spindle when tightening it.

Here are the drawbars and thread protector with my collets
PICT0022.JPG
Here is the collet with the longest threads fully screwed in.
PICT0024.JPG

While the first one only took about 10 minutes to cut the threads this one took a lot longer. I had more boring to do to get the ID correct. In addition to that while doing the threads and just as I was finishing up my lathe motor decided to act up. I had shut it off to test the fit and it screwed in snugly but stopped about half way. I figured another spring cut and it should be good to go. I hit the switch and the motor just hummed. Luckily it was just a dirty contact on the split phase motor and I was able to get it going again. There is no way I was going to be able to move to the other lathe and repeat the setup.
Anyway this is actually an easy project and I would encourage anyone who has to make their own to go for it.

Get a thrust bearing and you wont have any wear, my 11" has a bearing on it so it does not rub on the spindle. Tim

The second one I made will not wear the spindle. I more closely followed the design Bruce posted. The part rotates and acts like a bearing. This could wear on the handle but that could take years before it would become an issue.
If you look at the draw bar in front you will see I just used a set screw on the tapered part. That one was the one that would create wear one the spindle. Someday I will get ambitious and fix that one as well.

Back