Rockwell 10x36 25-700 brass power feed gear (414-02-051-5037)

Overmountain

Registered
Registered
Hoping this is the right place to post this so people needing this part can get one.

So, during my rebuild of my Rockwell 25-700, I discovered there were many owners of the same lathe series who's brass drive gear for the power functions of the saddle (long and crossfeed) were not functional due to gear issues. The gear in question is brass, and in most examples of this lathe on the market they are worn and needing replacement. It's such a necessary part I've seen people pay crazy amounts of money to have replacements made, and have seen some ingenious workarounds that took a lot of effort and trial and error to get working. By chance, I found a part number listing on Renovoparts with no photo or other information... I took a stab and ordered one (not cheap, but cheaper than making one from scratch) and was rewarded with a NOS part from Rockwell ready to go. See photos... Search the part number alone on Google and you should find the same listing. Don't know how many they have. But they had several other small parts on my list as well...

Cheers,

Attachments

• IMG_20191210_073602_487.jpg
    IMG_20191210_073602_487.jpg
    825 KB · Views: 19
I had one of those lathes with a taper attachment and 4c collets. Nice lathe except for their crappy design on the power feeds. Problem is the worm on the lead screw only engages a portion of the worm gear since the worm gear is moved axially to engage the power feeds. I had grand intentions of making a keyed shaft with a cone on the end which would slide on the worm gear. Remake the worm gear with the proper face for full engagement. The project after drawing it up was beyond my capabilities. I found the replacement gear at a place called Strelingers for about$80 each. Ended up selling the lathe with a new gear as a spare. Congrats on finding a replacement.

Bruce

I wish I had found one that cheap. Quotes to make one were astronomical. But it did make a world of difference in the function of the lathe. With a new brass gear in mine, the clutched linear feed works great. Cross feed is a bit wimpy, but works well enough to lightly face.

Tracking down a replacement gear is kind of ending up to be a waste of time. I'm swapping to stepper driven feed in both directions (linear/cross) courtesy of the Auto Artisans electronic lead screw. (No affiliation with the product other than buying one.)

I replaced the worn lead screw much like @GadgetBuilder did his, but tigged it together after making a cup and shaft fit, then turned it down smooth and turned about an inch long 10mm overhang out the back. I plan to support the rear piece with a flange pillow block bearing and affix the stepper bracket and everything to two mounting holes already on the rear of the carriage. This should preserve all the traditional functionality of the carriage

For anyone not familiar, the Electronic Lead Screw will now allow me to do metric and English threads in any pitch/count, and do tapers without an attachment with no coding. Just select a few options and let it run. I'm really looking forward to having those abilities... If I can grab some photos and it turns out OK (no pun intended) I will try to do a write up on it...

Cheers,
Eric

Back