Rockwell 11" L00 spindle head inside taper?

thenrie

Active User
Registered
I need to ask a couple kinder-garten level questions, so please use small words.:))

First, I can't seem to find any information on the inside taper of the L00 spindle on a Delta Rockwell 11" lathe, model 25-100. I seem to remember reading it was a MT2, but looking at the parts lists I think that is with an adapter. They apparently sold a MT2 and MT3 adapter, but I can't find anything in the manuals that tells what the spindle nose's inside taper is. I know it will accept 5C collets.

Second, I'm looking at buying a live center and a keyless chuck. Price is right, but both are MT2. My tailstock is MT3. There are plenty of adapters around at very reasonable prices. Problem is that I don't know anything about them, their proper use, etc. Is there a downside to using taper adapters? Could someone give me a short treatise on MT taper adapters?

Third, as I was dealing with the guy I'm buying from, one of the chucks he has shows surface rust on the taper of a chuck with an MT3 taper. I shied away from that one, because I didn't want to risk spinning it inside my tailstock. Would a taper adapter offer some insurance against that kind of thing? How difficult is it to fix a tool that has damage in or on the taper?

i am not absolutely certain here, i think the mt3 taper is if you have thescrew on chuck the l00 has a draw bar to fit the 5c collets. not sure on your other questions, hopefully others come in and help you out:thinking:

rich

Its a MT 4.5 but the major diameter is specific to the Delta/Rockwell lathe. You will need something to adapt the MT to the 5c, and then there is a cover that goes over the threads to keep the nut what hold the chuck on from getting damaged. The collet adapter is used in conjunction with the closer. Tim

P.s. spend the money on the correct taper tools, bide your time and you will come across what you need for a price you can feel good about.

I need to ask a couple kinder-garten level questions, so please use small words.:))

First, I can't seem to find any information on the inside taper of the L00 spindle on a Delta Rockwell 11" lathe, model 25-100. I seem to remember reading it was a MT2, but looking at the parts lists I think that is with an adapter. They apparently sold a MT2 and MT3 adapter, but I can't find anything in the manuals that tells what the spindle nose's inside taper is. I know it will accept 5C collets.

Second, I'm looking at buying a live center and a keyless chuck. Price is right, but both are MT2. My tailstock is MT3. There are plenty of adapters around at very reasonable prices. Problem is that I don't know anything about them, their proper use, etc. Is there a downside to using taper adapters? Could someone give me a short treatise on MT taper adapters?

Third, as I was dealing with the guy I'm buying from, one of the chucks he has shows surface rust on the taper of a chuck with an MT3 taper. I shied away from that one, because I didn't want to risk spinning it inside my tailstock. Would a taper adapter offer some insurance against that kind of thing? How difficult is it to fix a tool that has damage in or on the taper?

Last edited:
Its a MT 4.5 but the major diameter is specific to the Delta/Rockwell lathe. You will need something to adapt the MT to the 5c, and then there is a cover that goes over the threads to keep the nut what hold the chuck on from getting damaged. The collet adapter is used in conjunction with the closer. Tim

P.s. spend the money on the correct taper tools, bide your time and you will come across what you need for a price you can feel good about.
how would you attach to the l00? there are no threads on the spindle, i thought that was why you needed the drawbar... i'm a bit confused here.

rich

how would you attach to the l00? there are no threads on the spindle, i thought that was why you needed the drawbar... i'm a bit confused here.

rich
There is a nut that holds the chuck or plate onto the spindle. The nut is outside of the taper and draws it tight. Tim

rich

This is the quote for a collet closer adapter I got a few weeks ago. http://www.jfkprecisionproducts.com/

In the spec sheet attached just measure “G” to determine the gage line in order to see what adapter fits.
202C the nose ring $100.00
201 A GL BETWEEN 1.500 – 1.750 $170.00
201 B G.L. BETWEEN 1.751 – 2.100 $ 190.00

This is the quote for a collet closer adapter I got a few weeks ago. http://www.jfkprecisionproducts.com/

In the spec sheet attached just measure “G” to determine the gage line in order to see what adapter fits.
202C the nose ring $100.00
201 A GL BETWEEN 1.500 – 1.750 $170.00
201 B G.L. BETWEEN 1.751 – 2.100 $ 190.00
thanks for the information, that helps alot.:))

rich

I appreciate the replies. I thought I had read it was a MT4.5, but I wasn't sure enough to post the number. As for the adapters for the 5C, I think I'll have to see one to understand for sure what you posted. Thanks for the info.

I can see that it's going to hurt a bit to acquire a full complement of tooling for my lathe, but once I get there I'll have a pretty nice setup. As the good book says "line upon line, here a little, there a little...".

Any opinions on the followup questions? Is there any benefit or downside to using taper adapters, other than being able to use tools with different tapers than your machine?

TH

Back