Rockwell 11" Lathe?

Kroll

Active User
H-M Supporter Gold Member
Guys,never used a turret on a lathe before so what would be your preference?Using a tail stock or turret?This one does have some issues which I hope I can fix.Problem being where the drill chuck is when I index it in position it has some play in it.So I need to find myself a manual on how to adjust this if there is any adjustments that can be made.I hope to also find a parts list so can see what may be causing the play when drill chuck is in position.Any advice,yea's/na's Yes I do have the handle I remove it cause this thing is heavy as can be.286645

Use both. Change them out as needed. For shorter length work you can leave both on the lathe.

Unless you are making a large-ish quantity of parts, a turret is not so very useful; so far as the play is concerned, perhaps the shot bolt that locks the indexing may be sticking, not fully seating on its taper underneath in the turret.

Tom thats a good ideal,never gave that a thought.Na no production work here just a lazy wanna be type machine person that getting to hate change bits out from center drill to smaller drill to larger drill then to live center.Na its not that hard either,but having a turret attachment I think adds value and makes little easier I guess.But having the old tail stock handy is nice.I was thinking about selling one or the other but going to keep both.

Last edited:
I have (and use) an old turret lathe, (8" swing, but I only use 3/4 and smaller bar stock) It has a six position turret, #1 is a part stop for setting length of the piece, #2 spot drill, #3 drill #4 rough turn od #5 finish turn od, and saddle mounted chamfer and cut off tools. There is a sixth station, with a drill chuck in it, I use it for tapping, (spindle turned by hand)
I do "production" work, but usually no more that a dozen parts at a time. Its an Ames lathe, high end precision. I can hold diameter and length and shoulder to .001, can't check beyond that.

The turret is bored on the lathe when it is installed. If not you may have a misalignment between the spindle and the different tools. Tim

Back