rockwell 11x24 restoration thread

richl

Active User
Registered
Brought home the ole girl yesterday, hauled her into the garage this morning Ethan hauled her outside for a cleaning.

SN 118-5675 on the.gear cover is the only other clue.to what she.is, lubrication chart
Rockwell 11" lathe.
I have.some pics.but no way.to get.them up right now.
I started to.clean the gunk off.the cabinet. Elbow.grease, Scotch pads and kerosene. She is dirty, has some nicks and gauges, looks like she has had a difficult life... me and her both :). Hopefully I can bring her.back.to life.

Thanks for the response! Here are some pictures of her:) she is in the process of being all cleaned up. Im looking for a couple of missing pars and some gears that are missing teeth._MG_1617.JPG_MG_1614.JPG_MG_1612.JPG_MG_1598.JPG_MG_1597.JPG

_MG_1620.JPG _MG_1617.JPG _MG_1614.JPG _MG_1612.JPG _MG_1598.JPG _MG_1597.JPG

Motor appears to be original. 1HP single phase 110-220v selectable. 14/7 amp 1725 rpm. There is an external switch box for On/Off and reverse. She is also variable.speed thru the controls on the cabinet. I have a ton on cleanup to.do on her... but I gotta get the shop organized first... I went from having plenty of room to no room :)

Rich

Very cool, I'll be watching for your progress and updates. I love to see others projects take shape as much as my own, keep the pics coming.

I am in the process of buying an 11x36, it is complete with the cabinet. One of the previous owners converted it to 110, I am going to put it back to 220. Mine does not have hardened ways and I would like to find a new bed but I will work what I have for now. I will post pictures of mine when I get it to the shop. Tim

Astjp2, sound cool! I do not know how often they pop up, but I had seen a bed on eBay in the last few weeks.

I am in the process of collecting parts for mine, in the mean time a am getting together my south bend verticle mill model 4218. They are fun to restore :)

Thanks for the comments everyone!

Rich

I got her home, came with most of the attachments. I have a collet closer but I am confused on what I need to make it work besides the collets. I went to the Yahoo groups and found the sales literature but there seems to be some more parts that I need, like a thrust bearing and some type of taper adapter for the 5C collets to fit in the spindle. I would like a lever closer, maybe someday. I will start a new thread when I get going as a project. Tim

Great to see pics Rich! Let's talk this week-

Now that I see it,mi wonder if some once sold off a taper attachment, and included the crosslide/compound. That would make sense of the missing parts from an otherwise healthy lathe, and those empty bolt holes of the back of the saddle there ( although I have them too)

I have to look for a mill thread here for you too right? :)

Bernie

Back