Rockwell 14x46 before and after

The lever is for variable speed. 240RPM to 1740 RPM in the direct drive mode and 40 RPM to 290 RPM with the backgear engaged. This is pretty slick setup from Rockwell. Just pull back on the lever pull up till you get the speed you want and press in to lock.

4 speed gear box? Times 2 for 8 total?

My compliments on the lathe. I have the baby brother of yours - a 10x36 and am happy with it, but sure would appreciate all the upgrades of yours. Henry

The lever is for variable speed. 240RPM to 1740 RPM in the direct drive mode and 40 RPM to 290 RPM with the backgear engaged. This is pretty slick setup from Rockwell. Just pull back on the lever pull up till you get the speed you want and press in to lock.

what is it, a reeves drive?

You know, I must have a dark cloud hanging over me... Some years ago, I spent a full year looking for the perfect used machine. -Boy was that a waste of time. In that period, one machine came up aces but it was missing it's 10 HP motor and while looking for a 5HP motor that would fit, someone else snapped it up.

-Nice job!

You know, I must have a dark cloud hanging over me... Some years ago, I spent a full year looking for the perfect used machine. -Boy was that a waste of time. In that period, one machine came up aces but it was missing it's 10 HP motor and while looking for a 5HP motor that would fit, someone else snapped it up.

-Nice job!

yeah, thats what happens.
I was lucky to find this Logan. There don't seem to be a lot of lathes around here in this size.
I had one of those little craftsman 109's, and I was asking around about a chuck for it at the flea market, and this guy overheard me and asked me about buying his lathe.(The Logan)
I ended up getting a chuck and some other things for the little 109, and sold it for what I had in it, and I was looking for an Atlas lathe, I said to myself, " Why don't you get that Logan" So he still had it, and I gave him a deposit on it, and he actually hauled it over here for me in the spring.
I think I did pretty good, for $500.00, I got the Lathe, most of the gears, 2 or 3 chucks, a milling attachment (I need to try and learn to use) Centers, face plates, dogs, Live center that replaces the tail stock ram, Drill press vice, wrenches, Oil cans, (I couldn't believe what was all going with this lathe) and just a bunch of tools and tool stock, indicators, calipers and dividers, and stuff I don't know what it is.
It was all plug and play too, I didn't have to change the motor or get a VFD or anything.
Although I am thinking of going to a 3 Phase and a VFD.

Here is what is around here, he wants $1500.00, or may trade for a smaller lathe. (Whats that telling you?)
http://wheeling.craigslist.org/tls/3707547975.html

Last edited:
Back