Rockwell 21-100 Gibs

cplbuck

Registered
Registered
Hello all,

I recently came into possession of a Rockwell 21-100. It's missing the gibs and some other minor parts. Does anyone know where I could buy replacement parts. Also, does anyone know the dimensions of the table and saddle gibs? Worst case I'll buy something that is close and try to modify them. Thanks.

I think you are going to have a hard time with this one. Parts for these machines are pretty scarce. I think the general rule of thumb is that if you need a part you are going to have to make it yourself. The mill uses tapered gibs for all three axis. Are all three missing? I have had all of mine out. I believe they all have the same taper. If you have one of them, therefore, you can use it to determine the taper to make the others. You could then literally cut them to length.

If you don't have one and nobody else know the dimensions, I might be coaxed into pulling one out and measuring it. :)

Baxter

I think you are going to have a hard time with this one. Parts for these machines are pretty scarce. I think the general rule of thumb is that if you need a part you are going to have to make it yourself. The mill uses tapered gibs for all three axis. Are all three missing? I have had all of mine out. I believe they all have the same taper. If you have one of them, therefore, you can use it to determine the taper to make the others. You could then literally cut them to length.

If you don't have one and nobody else know the dimensions, I might be coaxed into pulling one out and measuring it. :)

Baxter

Hello Baxter, I have the one in the knee. I'll pull that one out and make the ones for the saddle and table. I really appreciate the offer to pull one. I'd hate for you to do that. I think I'll give it a try to make them. Thanks again.

Use gray cast when you do and scrape them to get a real good fit. Tim

Thanks for the advice Tim. I've never done this type of job so wish me luck. Any suggestions on what kind of steel to use or is there a gib that's currently available that I can modify. Thanks all.

you don't want steel, you want cast iron, you can get it online for a reasonable price, I had enough from a bar that I bought that I can make 2 gibs for my cross feed and compound rest because the originals were shot. Do some hunting for ideas in the scraping chats. Tim

I've searched and searched and cannot find gibs as Baxter noted. Do any of you know the dimensions of the table and saddle gibs? Thanks in advance.

Sometimes you have to work backwards to get what you are looking for here. I've had to do this on other machines I've rebuilt many years ago. First thing you have to determine is, is it a straight gib where the adjustment screws are on the side of the cross slide? Or is it a tapered gib where there is a screw hole with a counter bore at the end of the slop where the gib goes?
Next, what angle is the dovetails on the gib side of the slide. If it is a straight gib, measure the width and height of the slot where the gib goes, and then the length of the cross slide or compound slide, whichever gib is missing. Ok, now you have the basic dimensions needed to start making your gib. If the gib slot is tapered, you'll have to measure to get the taper needed for the gib. For either case, make the gib a little longer for fitting, especially for a tapered gib.
Gibs are a lot of work and requires making special fixturing to hold the gib while making them.

Please post some pictures of you slides that are requiring gibs. Ken

should be straight gibs, about 5/32" thick to start with and mine are about 1/2 inch wide. Make them a little long so you have a place to screw them down from by drilling a hole passed where your gib should go and then drill a hole to put a screw through it, that is what will hold down the gib to the board you are scraping on...

Back