Rockwell 21-100 Spindle Rebuild

VFD is setup, using the Hitachi WJ200, 1HP model. Wiring is fairly simple, with 2 pole disconnect, 3 way forward/off/reverse switch, and speed control, all in one box.

Also have new 4" CMT Vise mounted and rubber way covers installed.

Just made fist chips cutting some flats on some heavy DOM tubing. Cut like butter, very nice finish.

vfd_mill.jpg

cmt_vise.jpg

looks beautiful! One suggestion would be to make a set of table covers and some shields to deflect chips onto the table covers - makes cleaning up and keeping the workspace clean so much easier.

Yep, table cover boards will be next on the list. Also need to fab up some 7/16 tee nuts to replace the import junk.
Thanks!

Well I've some semblance of table covers and a shield/guard. I also cut down the back of the vise so I would have more Y travel.

I ran a test of the 2"Glacern FM45 integral face mill, using 2 inserts, against a pice of 1-1/8" wide S7 tool steel. Spindle speed was about 500 or so, and this is hand fed, DOC about .010 to .015. There was some grunting involved, but it made it though, and left a reasonable finish. The chips were coming off blue, probably hardening mid-flight.

fm45_face_mill_test_s7.jpg

nice! Classy vise too. I made a similar chip shield for the back of my vise, though mine comes down to the table covers (cut down baking trays). I also have one that sits on top of the moving jaw and a couple of deflectors that go on the table. All held on with hard drive magnets :) They mostly came about from using a face mill like that in aluminium - those chips went everywhere! Now all I do is take off the deflectors, brush all the chips onto the covers and lift the covers off to empty them into a bucket. Makes cleaning up a lot easier and keeps the area around the mill cleaner too.

When I rebuilt my Rockwell 21-100, I found the spindle bearings were not original ground matched bearings.
I simply inverted the pair to wear on the other side of the D race and replaced the upper bearing. This got the runout with and without side force to be acceptable.
I since gave away the mill, and miss it. My bridgeport takes up more space.

rockwell mill drawing Capture.JPG

Rockwell Vmill 21-100 spindle bearing replacement pre load calculation.jpg

Rockwell V mill spindle bearing arrangement.jpg

Motor upgrade notes....

The original 3/4 HP 3PH motor is kind of wimpy, so I found a 1HP 3PH 6 pole 1200 RPM motor on ebay with an extra large and long output shaft. This is actually a Baldor "washdown" motor, seems to have stainless shaft and hardware. I disassembled the motor, cut down and turned down the shaft, and reassembled with new bearings. If you do this I highly recommend the 6 pole motor as it has lots of low end grunt.

motor_disassembly.jpg

motor_rotor_machined.jpg

motors_compared.jpg

motor_installed.jpg

Back