Rockwell 23-505: cracked wheel flange - repairable or run it? Use parts from Baldor tool grinder?

That's a great grinder you have there.
I've never seen a Delta.

That's a great grinder you have there.
I've never seen a Delta.

Thanks! Had been keeping an eye out for a Baldor when I stumbled on this one. They are harder to find since Delta stopped making them a quite a long time ago; believe the current Baldor grinder hasn't changed for 60+ years.

I still have the original light which didn't make my photo shoot but no drip cup. Keeping my fingers crossed I can find an original one; will have to rig something else up in the meantime.

I have the schematic and will try to get a proper scan this weekend.

Thanks a ton!!

Open question: anyone have an idea what p/n SR-250 is (the item behind the arbor bearing)? The p/n is not listed on the part sheet. And just to note: the diagram is misleading by showing the bearing on the outside of the casting. The bearing actually mounts on the back side (have to remove the wheel shroud casting from the motor housing to get to it).

There is a wave washer next to one of the bearings. But this wave washer definitely goes on the other side of the bearing. Maybe the diagram is wrong in the location of SR-250? Figured I'd ask / mention in case anyone knows or needs this info in the future. My stack up goes like this: LH Casting - Wave Washer - Bearing - Rotor - Bearing - RH Casting

Looking at the newer model schematic many of these parts have the same part #'s as your old machine.
I'll scan that one and post asap.
The newer machine doesn't show SR-250 at all. I wonder if it supplies pre-load to the bearing?

Looking at the newer model schematic many of these parts have the same part #'s as your old machine.
I'll scan that one and post asap.
The newer machine doesn't show SR-250 at all. I wonder if it supplies pre-load to the bearing?

In my research I did notice that there were 2 different placard types - the part diagram you posted has the older top-mounted oval label. As far as I can tell they are otherwise identical. Would be interested to see the differences in the other part diagram you have. Thanks for your help getting these scanned!

I strongly suspect that the diagram is just incorrect in the placement. There aren't any other parts it could represent other than the wave washer.

Look at that cool Furnas drum switch. (Father worked for Furnas...)

Is that one large cast piece or an insert?
I've been back and forth looking at the picts and can't quite figure it out.
CG42 is a 'drive flange' but isn't or wouldn't there be one on the other side?
I'm confused, even with the parts list. :dunno:

I can't get my scanner working so will go the digital camera route and post the newer model diagram asap.

Look at that cool Furnas drum switch. (Father worked for Furnas...)

Is that one large cast piece or an insert?
I've been back and forth looking at the picts and can't quite figure it out.
CG42 is a 'drive flange' but isn't or wouldn't there be one on the other side?
I'm confused, even with the parts list. :dunno:

One large cast piece or insert: what part are you referring to?

CG42 is what I would call a mounting wheel...this is the part that is cracked on mine. And yes, there are two of these (one on each side). The diagram doesn't show the duplicate parts or quantities.

One large cast piece or insert: what part are you referring to?

CG42 is what I would call a mounting wheel...this is the part that is cracked on mine. And yes, there are two of these (one on each side). The diagram doesn't show the duplicate parts or quantities.
So the mounting wheel is one large cast piece with that keyway in a boss. -ugh.

I finished reconditioning the grinder and found that the cracked wheel is a bit worse than i thought. It spread the wheel a bit on the backside causing some weeble-wobble and rubbing on the grinder's mating inner flange. The latter was easily fixed by turning down that beveled part a bit, but the loose fit would require re-sleeving. The wheel doesn't wobble when it's bolted to the arbor so I'm going to leave as-is for now. I think I'd like to tackle making a new wheel completely from scratch...would be a interesting project to learn a couple new skills.

Here's a pic of the restoration. Unfortunately don't have pics as it was when I bought it. I had to replace the bearings and clean up the rotor because the worn bearings caused the laminations to bridge the separators/slots. I also had to machine some centering bushings for the grinding discs. I'm not sure what they are supposed look like; the ones I made are retained by the arbor nut. Pretty simple part and it revealed that the original wheels weren't running true because they weren't well centered. And a complete disassemble, sandblast, and paint. Wasn't too bad considering first equipment rebuild I've tackled; learned a few things along the way. It absolutely purrs now.

View attachment 308186

View attachment 308187
View attachment 308188

Still looking for a parts diagram if anyone has one and is willing to share!

Back