Rockwell 25-OX6

oneIwilly

Active User
Registered
I recently traded a jeep hardtop for this Rockwell 25-OX6 lathe. I am a machinist student and this seemed like a good deal. It has a 4 jaw chuck. Besides being dirty, this lathe works amazing . However I would like a 3 jaw chuck. Normally I would ask my instructor this question, but we are on break. This lathe has a taper spindle, the back of the chuck says Buck L102, is this the size adapter I need to put a 3 jaw chuck on this lathe?http://i1068.photobucket.com/albums/u442/oneIwilly/null_zps51df169f.jpg

Spend a little time with google searches and you will find out everything you need to know. Also sign up for the Yahoo group. You need an L00 chuck. It looks like a nice unit, get it level and keep it lubricated. Tim

Last edited:
Is there an adapter that I need to connect the L00 chuck to the lathe spindle?

No, you just need a spanner wrench to unscrew the nut that holds the chuck on the spindle. The taper has a key and its one of the best methods of holding a chuck if you want to turn it backwards because it wont back off. Tim

Nice lathe: If you copy and paste the IMG code the picture will show up directly here.
null_zps51df169f.jpg If you copy and paste the IMG code the picture will show up directly here.

null_zps51df169f.jpg

Last edited:
Very nice! It looks to be little used and well cared for. I'd be pretty thrilled.
Michael

http://www.lathes.co.uk/delta metal/index.html
Willgive you some info on your lathe. Unlike the larger 11" model, the 10" model only comes in a 1 1/2"x8 tpi thread not the l00. Make sure you are getting the correct adapter for your chuck. Good luck with the new lathe, that sure does look real nice!

Rich

Can't see from the pics, but most of the DR11s I have seen came with the L00 long taper spindle nose. They also offered it with a threaded nose, but most seem to have the L00. Any chuck, faceplate, or other attachment with the L00 spindle mount should fit. Just make sure you get the right size, since L00 is the smallest of that type of mount (L00, L0, L1, etc).

The lathe looks to be in decent shape. It's certainly in better shape than what I started with.

nice score!

Not to be contentious, but why bother getting a 3 jaw? With a dial indicator and a bit of practice, you can get worked centred in a 4 jaw in very little time. You'd be better off putting the money you'd spend on a 3 jaw towards other tooling, such as a QCTP, cutters, live center etc. and getting a 3 jaw later if you still need one.

Actually Matt, in my limited experience I don't even care for 3 jaw chucks. I have a few machinist buddy's who grumbled about it not having a 3 jaw chuck. That's really the only reason I was looking for one. At this point, I think I'm going to do exactly what you suggested. Buy tooling. Here's a pic of the taper with the key in it. Also thanks for the suggestion on the image code thing. So far I absolutely love this machine!null_zpsd4047b82.jpg

null_zpsd4047b82.jpg

Back