Rockwell 25-OX6

that's going to be a hell of a machine when you get it all tooled up! I'd love a good 3 jaw (mine is ancient and has terrible run out) but at the moment there are plenty of other things to be spending money on, so I'll make do with the new 4 jaw that I bought. It's good practice too for when I need to machine odd shaped stuff :)

Don't forget to keep posting pictures - machinery voyeurism is where it's at!

More pics? Here ya goes. I found a lubrication chart. I started going through it and pulled this cover off. There is a lot of built up grease and the gears are dragging through it. Should I clean it out, or leave it?null_zps0a89901f.jpg

- - - Updated - - -

Here are the other gears. So in this and the last pic, does anybody see any maintenance that needs to be performed? Also what are the first 3 accessories you guys would buy for this machine? null_zpsf7de998c.jpg

null_zps0a89901f.jpg

null_zpsf7de998c.jpg

This lathe seems to be in really good shape. If your so inclined, I'd clean all the gears and put some fresh grease on them. They really don't look too cruddy from the photos though.

A quick change tool post and some cutting tools to go with it would be my first order of business. If thats a 10" lathe, AXA size would be the right size. Why does it look bigger than a 10" to me? Maybe it's just the photos.

I guess before I asked that, I should have showed what came with the machine. This is what I have along with a small shoebox full of hss. So what is best to clean it with? Also what exactly is the backing plate used for?null_zpscda63706.jpg

null_zpscda63706.jpg

you know, a QCTP would be awesome, as would some indexable cutters, but as you already have the holders and a bunch of HSS bits you could easily make do with those for a while. Nothing wrong with them and changing them out might take more time/ fiddle than a QCTP, but if you're not in a production environment it's not a big deal.

First thing I'd get is a digital readout system in place. Makes life a lot easier and you can get a triple set up (X, Y and tail stock) for $100-150 from DavidH on here or plum a few benjamins more for a system with a single readout. I'm not an expert on that though, so ask around. Adding a digital read out to my lathe (orders of magnitude smaller than yours) has made it a much easier to use tool.

Do you have a bench grinder/ diamond hone/ arkansas stones already? If not, those will be super useful for grinding or touching up your own HSS bits.

A cut off tool is very useful, you could grind one of those yourself if you have a big enough spare bit/ blank.

A live center would be nice, as would a steady rest if you're going to do stuff longer than 10in or so.

Most important of all, a bunch of different types of material (scrap yard? Machine shop castoffs?) to practice on! That's the best way to learn :)

I like to use wd40. I buy it by the 1gal can at home depot for about $20. I like it because it doesn't smell too bad. But really, you could use kerosene, which is cheaper. Get some parts washing brushes, a tub and a spray bottle. I have a small cheapy parts washer from HF but thats not necessary.

Get yourself one of these AXA tool post holder sets. http://www.ebay.com/bhp/axa-tool-post . I have a piston type on my small 9" lathe and a wedge type on the 12", I think the wedge type is better but I really haven't had any problems with the piston type. It sounds like you have plenty of cutters. Your gonna need a few center drills and some standard size drill bits (0-1/2") and maybe a number and a letter set to go with that, if you don't already have those items. A live center would be nice but not necessary since you already have a dead center. Things will creep up as you get more involved in using your lathe, but i think those things will get you started. I'm constantly making and acquiring tooling for my machines. The more tooling you have, the quicker and easier it is to get things done. This hobby can get expensive, so watch Craigs list and ebay for bargains. I've bought stuff for pennys on the dollar, compared to new.

The backing plate (faceplate) is mounted on the spindle. Then you insert the adapter in the spindle which reduces to MT #3 or whatever and a dead centre in the adapter. Using a lathe dog you can then turn between centres without using a chuck or collet.
Michael

That is not a backing plate, it is a face plate with slots for a drive dog. Old school but occasionally necessary.

Previous advice is good. You have enough to make chips. I don't have a DRO so I don't miss it. If I had one I would probably move it up the scale of needed accessories.

Get the grease off by any means, it will be messy. Scoop it out, wipe it off, whatever. If you don't see a lot of metal shavings in the grease then you don't have to flush it out. Just get most of it off and add some new grease.

@ xalky: It's an 11" lathe. Quite a bit heftier than a 10.

@ xalky: It's an 11" lathe. Quite a bit heftier than a 10.
Ah, I thought it might be. :)) That's gonna be a great lathe for you, and should last you into your retirement days and then some.

Back