Rockwell/Delta 14" metal/wood band saw 28-300

Grandpop

H-M Supporter - Sustaining Member
H-M Platinum Supporter
I bought this gal back in May at a local on-line only auction for $60. The only description said something like “never been under power – no info”, with 3 photos. Could see the gear reduction shaft (no pulley) and the upper blade guide was MIA, but had been looking for for some tired. I had just finished a major rust repair to the deck of the Gravely and was extremely tired of cutting sheet metal with jig saw and grinding discs, so went for it.

P5120137.JPG

Here she is before I unloaded it. Let’s just say she was rode hard and put away wet frequently. PO must not have been very mechanical, as could see lots of things jerry rigged and or messed up after scraping away worst of the crud.

At first, this $60 purchase was starting to look like a parts machine (missing upper blade guide/guard, both 4 step pulleys missing, tension adjuster rod and nut both stripped, the high/low speed clutch was frozen, the motor is 3450 rpm and not working (hums), upper wheel bearings shot, both tires shot, missing lots of little things and hadn't even gotten into it yet. After some coaching on this site from CluelessNewB (thanks again Rich!), including lots of VERY helpful information, I decided to try to resurrect it.

Spent better part of last 5 weeks researching, tearing down this 1974 version, figuring out how it was supposed to work, repairing everything, all new bearings/seals, cleaning, filing the burrs off of every casting and sharp edge, painting, buying LOTS of parts, making a fair amount of missing/buggered up parts and reassembling it. A new HF 1800 rpm 1 hp motor, new switch and wiring, and she is back among the living.

P6270033.JPG

Still waiting on last few things (v-belts and 2nd attempt at a tension spring), I have turned to the sheet metal missing parts/covers. It had the guard for the rear pulley attached but was missing the door, is missing the lower rear door, is missing whatever the cord keeper was supposed to be, and is missing the upper front blade guard. There was precious little information about the cabinet parts or photos to be found, but I did find these 2 photos below that show the 2 missing doors. Today I made the upper pulley door cover and half hinges, but still can’t figure out what the lower door retainer is supposed to look like.

1593292399067.png

1593292422464.png

The red arrow is what the p/l calls the “Stop Strip”, and inside the cabinet attached to the 2 red screws are the “latches.” I am guessing that the stop strip is a rubber strip, and the catch is some kind of c cross section hook that holds the door open at the angle shown, then you just lift the door off. Does anyone have one of these that they post some photos of what these are supposed to look like, or do I have it completely wrong?

The green arrow cord keeper is another mystery. This is only photo I have found anywhere that even has something in the hole! Almost looks like wood when I try to zoom it. Any information on what this should look like? My base has a screw hole on each side of the cord keeper opening, so surprised that this saw does not.

I was able to find lots of photos of the upper blade guard, so starting on that one next.

Getting down near the end now.

Back