Rockwell disc/belt sander rebuild

Dino Drosas

Registered
Registered
I purchased this finishing machine for a couple hundred dollars in pretty rough condition. Disassembled it entirely, did a major clean up and found a few parts on Ebay to replace the missing ones. A quick coat of paint and it is ready to go. The sanding belt is a real bear to keep tracking properly but I reduced the width of the belt by one inch and like magic - the tracking is perfect

sander 2.jpgIMG_0695.JPGIMG_0696.JPGsander 1.jpgIMG_0694.JPG

sander 2.jpg IMG_0695.JPG IMG_0696.JPG sander 1.jpg IMG_0694.JPG

Nice cleanup and paint job. I have one of their 6" belt sanders which I reconditioned a couple of years ago. The belt tracking mechanism is very poor and it has more vibration than I like. I could do better myself and have on a 5200 sfpm 2 x 48" belt grinder which I built from sratch. When I get time I'm going to go at the 6" belt sander and do some improvements.
Michael

Last edited:
Nice job! She looks real purty!

Well done, very well done.

:thumbsup::thumbsup:

Great job. Always nice to see a machine brought back into service.

"Billy G"

I read some place to aid in the tracking to take a piece of 1/2 masking tape and wrap around the tracking wheel in the center. If that only helps alittle then try 2 wraps of the masking tape----kroll

That make sense. Puts a crown on the spindle center, much like a band saw wheel. I'll give it a try on the next belt

If you take a straight edge and place across the wheel(idler wheel) it has a very slight crown so maybe alittle more is needed----kroll

Back