Rockwell lathe for sale at auction

north1

Registered
Registered
All the info I have is in the picture. Located 160 miles from me. Is being sold at a farm auction. Know the drive can be a problem. Also a brass gear in the carriage another problem area. Curious if anyone has ANY info they can glean from picture with experienced eyes. Wondering if it’s worth the trip dragging a trailer 320 miles both ways. 9DD8EBD7-18BB-4ECA-8891-22827E8223E6.png

Well, it's an 11" Rockwell with variable speed drive. Hard to glean much since the photo is so small. The one I had availed itself an L00 spindle whereas your's seems to have shorter overhang, perhaps threaded (?) -- which doesn't seem right. These lathes have 5C collet capacity.
Wonder what tooling is hidden in the cabinet?
I never had much if any problem with the vari-drive. Seems it was adjusted via a cable which had some slop which meant the speed could creep a bit in use. Otherwise, a very solid lathe with massive front spindle bearing.

I had an 11" for some 20 years was a great lathe and mine hadd L00 but I think some did have threaded spindle. mine was 120 volt as well. I sold it for $2500 and replaced it with a 14" Rockwell variable speed but 220 volt 3 phase.

If it's been on a farm for many years, it probably hasn't experienced the wear that a machine shop or production
machine would have in the same period of time. It doesn't look abused or rusty. Rockwells were quality machines.
I'd make the drive if it were me.

No way of knowing for sure until hands on look but after viewing several pics of Rockwell’s I wonder if it is the dreaded American short taper spindle with retaining bolts?

I doubt its an A spindle but if so, why dread it?
The basic specs will be the same as a comparable D but with screws rather than cams.
Many modern CNC machines have the A spindle.

Just going by info gleaned from lathes UK website where they list this spindle mount as “unfortunate”. Surmised that it may be difficult to find accessories for. But then that is why I posted it here to get opinions from those in the know. If it includes 3 jaw, 4 jaw and faceplate that are in good order I would guess it’s a moot point anyway. Just seems the mount distance between chuck and spindle is narrower than most Rockwell’s I have viewed.

Is lathe still available ? Where is location ? I’m in N. Louisiana and looking for 11” Rockwell lathe
Thanks shootur mike Morris

Get it dang they are very HD but beware of the gear/pulley make sure teeth are not strip.

Back