• We want to encourage those of you who ENJOY our site and find it USEFUL to DONATE and UPGRADE your membership from active member to donating or premium membership. If you want to know the differences in membership benefits, please visit THIS PAGE:

https://www.hobby-machinist.com/premium/

Donating memberships start at just $10 per year. These memberships are in fact donations that help pay our costs, and keep our site running!
    Thank you for your donation, God Bless You
  • June Project of the Month (Click "x" at right to dismiss)
[4]

Rockwell Mill Lube Question

[3]
[10] Like what you see?
Click here to donate to this forum and upgrade your account!
B

Buffalo20

Guest - Please Register!
Guest - Please Register!
Can someone who has a Rockwell mill, mine is a 21-100 vertical mill, I was looking at the knee and table today, what exactly does the oil hole on the table apron assembly do?? According to the manual, I have to lube the ways directly, as there is no oil ports for the table or the knee. Dab smack in the middle of the table apron, is a ball-check lube point, but with no idea to what I'm lubing. To the X lead screw nut??

Anybody know of a source to buy a different vise handle, the Shars vise is excellent (so far), but has a 12 MM hex, the flex-handle is marginal, right now I'm using a 12 mm, 6 point wrench, it works, but hardly handy. I thought about modifying a different handle, adapting a 12 mm impact socket, but a steel socket and an aluminum handle, means either set screws or roll pins to lock them together.I'd prefer a different way.

Silverbullet

How about a socket and sliding tee handle for the vise. You could use loctite to keep the socket attached.

john.oliver35

H-M Supporter - Premium Member
H-M Supporter-Premium Member
The ball-check on the front oils the X-lead screw. I don't recall from when I had mine torn down if it drips oil onto the leadscrew bushings or just the leadscrew itself.

B

Buffalo20

Guest - Please Register!
Guest - Please Register!
Thank you, for the replies. Oiling the underside of the table is a PITA. Oiling the knee (Z) and the table (Y) are relatively easy (little messy), but ensuring the underside of the table (X), is a challenge. So far, the only minor negative feature of the mill, I'm disappointed in.

Rata222

Thank you, for the replies. Oiling the underside of the table is a PITA. Oiling the knee (Z) and the table (Y) are relatively easy (little messy), but ensuring the underside of the table (X), is a challenge. So far, the only minor negative feature of the mill, I'm disappointed in.
I know this is an old post but I read this and hoped someone may find this helpful. To oil the the ways of the table - as well as the feed screw (and other ways), I have changed to using a 1" foam brush. I put some oil on the foam brush and can easily reach underneath the table and brush on a good film - on the X table ways and feed screw, without dripping. When finished-I put in a small sealable sandwich bag that also contains a small magnet. I then slap it against the side of the mill and it is there for the next day..

polyfractal

Swarf
Registered Member
I know this is an old post but I read this and hoped someone may find this helpful. To oil the the ways of the table - as well as the feed screw (and other ways), I have changed to using a 1" foam brush. I put some oil on the foam brush and can easily reach underneath the table and brush on a good film - on the X table ways and feed screw, without dripping. When finished-I put in a small sealable sandwich bag that also contains a small magnet. I then slap it against the side of the mill and it is there for the next day..
I like that, will probably steal it. Thanks! :)

So far I've been using a can of spray bar & chain oil to lube the ways. Makes it fairly easy to spray into the corners of each way, then crank the table in each direction a few times to spread the oil. Seems to be doing the trick, but I'd prefer to not keep buying spray cans. Will setup a brush/magnet bag when I run out.

[6]
[5] [7]