• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.
  • PLEASE SUPPORT OUR FORUM - UPGRADE YOUR ACCOUNT HERE!
[4]

Rockwell Mill On Craigslist Value And Questions

January Project of the Month [3]
[10] Like what you see?
Click here to donate to this forum and upgrade your account!

wawoodman

himself, himself
H-M Supporter-Premium Member
It is smaller than a Bridgeport, which can be good or bad, depending on your space and needs. I have one, and I love it. But you have to remember, it's NOT a BP, and work accordingly.

I would truly like to have that powerfeed, though!

eeler1

Dang, buggered that up too!!
H-M Supporter - Sustaining Member
Rockwells are nice machines, can't speak to condition or price, but don't discount it due to the name.

Last edited:

4GSR

Banned
Banned
The Rockwell mill is much stouter than the Clausing mill. They made nice mills but with a much smaller envelope to work with than a Bridgeport. Just remember, there are no repair parts available for this mill. You'll have to make your own repair parts when needed. I think $2000 is a little high, but for the area, its fair. By the time you buy one from the Northeast have it shipped to Oklahoma, you'll have $2000 plus tied up in it. Better jump on it before someone else does if this fits the bill. Ken

john.oliver35

H-M Supporter - Premium Member
I bought one of these last year for $1600, but would have paid $2000. Not a Bridgeport, but much more capable than any new Chinese mill you can get for $2000. It is a real knee mill. The power feed looks nice - I don't have one but am thinking of adding one. I have made a few repairs/tune-ups on mine and in the process have learned a lot and am able to do better work. I enjoy the repairs so YMMV.

Mine is single phase. If yours is 3-phase, then I would keep the 3-Phase motor and put a VFD on it. These mills can spin pretty fast and I have wished I could run mine slower several times when fly-cutting or boring.

Calixt0

I did not.. not flexible at all on price and more than I want to spend..

Ulma Doctor

Infinitely Curious
i saw a similar unit about a year ago on CL ,
it took almost a month to sell @ $600

Iron
Registered Member
Price seems a little high considering there's no mention of any tooling coming with it. I paid $1100 for my 21-100 and it came with a set of R8 collets, a vice, and other misc. bits and pieces. No power feed though. Here in the Northeast theres quite a few auctions, online and otherwise that can be a great resource for these types of tools. My was surplus from an upstate school district. Be patient and ready to pounce when the right deal comes along. A mill of that caliber is worth waiting for. It's only a matter of time. Good luck.

eeler1

Dang, buggered that up too!!
H-M Supporter - Sustaining Member
Some years ago, I passed on one in great condition for $1100 here in NorCal. Kind of regretted it, but moved on and ended up with a millerite in great condition.

If you don't buy another mill, you can always check back in a month or so and see if seller becomes more realistic on price. I've picked up items at much less, like half or less, of original price, by doing that. Of course, sometimes the machine gets sold to someone else, just gotta move on. If someone else wants to overpay, oh well. You're still set for when a reasonable deal comes along.

[6]
[5] [7]