Rockwell Mill Refurb

stevecmo

Active User
Registered
Well, I finally finished refurbing my Rockwell 21-100 vertical mill. It was a winter project, like my Logan lathe last winter. I can't wait to see what next winter brings. :)) This mill has been beat up pretty bad but was complete and I felt like I could bring her back to a useful state. Here's a picture of her on the trailer when I got home.

P1050384R1.jpg

I used my tractor and loader to lift it out of the trailer and take it around to the shop door to the basement. I had to rent an engine hoist to get it inside and in place. Here it is sitting where it will reside when it's done. Someone had given the WHOLE thing a hideous coat of beige paint.

P1050414.JPG

You can get an idea of the condition in these pic's.

P1050419.JPGP1050421.JPG

It was hard to crank the knee up. I soon discovered why.

P1050429.JPG

Fortunately new bevel gears were available and required only minor modification.

I decided to strip as much paint as possible with the column and knee still assembled to the base. But eventually it all came apart for cleaning, stripping, and re-painting.

P1050430.JPG

In the next post I'll start putting things back together.

Enjoy.

Steve

P1050384R1.jpg P1050414.JPG P1050419.JPG P1050421.JPG P1050429.JPG P1050430.JPG

After lots of cleaning, stripping and painting it was time to start putting things back together. This is the stage of a rebuild that you get your second wind after many tedious hours of cleaning and painting.

Here's the column and base back together again. Aren't they a cute couple? :)) I liked the hockey puck feet on my lathe, so went with them on the mill.

P1050624.JPG

The knee, complete with new bevel gears, and the saddle were next.

P1050647.JPG

And then the table, end caps, dials and wheels. Gee, it's starting to look like a mill again.

P1050649.JPG

Then came the ram and the head. The lower duplex bearings on the quill were junk. I was lucky to find a lead to someone that had a new set of ABEC-7 duplex bearings for a really good price. (Thanks Don and Ray) The upper quill bearing is not an expensive bearing so I replaced it as well. There is also a set of duplex bearings in the drive pulley. After cleaning they seemed to be fine, so I used them after packing with grease. I didn't get any pictures of the "innards" but there was considerable work involved, including new "NO" type bearing retainer nuts.

P1050653.JPG

And here she is in all her glory.

P1050684.JPG

I still have a lot of things to do before she's ready to spew chips, but at least Humpty Dumpty is back together again!

I have to say thanks to Bob (buickgsx455man) for commiserating as we went thru this together.

Thanks for looking.

Steve

P1050624.JPG P1050647.JPG P1050649.JPG P1050653.JPG P1050684.JPG

Last edited:
Why beige paint? Couldnt't they just grab a quart of gray and slather it up? Why why why? But that paint stripper looks like it did the trick! Looking forward to seeing the rest of the pics !!:drink2:

Bob

I can't see the pics. AAHH. I can see the first couple and look forward to the rest. That's a neat looking mill.

So what's left? Looks ready to make a mess anyway.

Very Nice! You did an awesome job! I want one.

Dwayne

You do really nice work Steve. That is a nice addition to the shop. I hope you get lots of use out of it now. Half the fun is restoring it, the other half will be getting it dirty. I bet you learned what really makes it tic though.

Thanks for the compliments, guys!

While trying to get the mill done, I've been neglecting the outside springtime chores. We had a few nice weather days so I had to devote my time to that. And then.......the weather turned nasty and we got snow yesterday! So now I can spend some more time hopefully finishing things up. Not a lot to do, just the little things tram the head and vise, adjust the gibs, make sure everything is lubed and smooth, etc., etc.

I do have to make some sort of keeper to contain/adjust one of the gibs as it has a notch worn in it and the button head won't retain it. I also have to make some brass plugs for the dial locks. And I have a couple of cool nameplates coming (thanks Bob) that will set it off nicely.

Randy, you're right. I like tearing them down and going thru them completely. It gives you a better understanding of how everything works so you can troubleshoot problems in the future. (I'm still in awe of your BP......and shop, by the way :)))

Steve

Back