Rockwell motor rewire

Tan4x4

Registered
Registered
I just picked up a rockwell 10 metal lathe the other day. it is set up for 110 power with a forward and reverse switch. I could not find the motor plate ,so i do not know if it is a 3 ph wire to run off 110 there are there wire in the main box and two out of the back wired to capacitors. there. My main concern is the wire jackets are crack and brittle. I would like to rewire the motor so it will not be a fire hazard. Or would it be better to get an new motor. this one works fine for now.

First, your motor is not 3 phase if it has capacitors and is operating on 110/120 V single phase power. If the brittle, cracking wire insulation is on the wiring coming from the motor windings, it may be difficult to repair. Depends. Sometimes you can save it by sliding some shrink tubing over the bad wires and heat shrinking it on. If the bad insulation is on the incoming power to the motor, just replace the wiring.

Ted

First, your motor is not 3 phase if it has capacitors and is operating on 110/120 V single phase power. If the brittle, cracking wire insulation is on the wiring coming from the motor windings, it may be difficult to repair. Depends. Sometimes you can save it by sliding some shrink tubing over the bad wires and heat shrinking it on. If the bad insulation is on the incoming power to the motor, just replace the wiring.

Ted
I will see if I can slip some heatshrink over the wires going to the windings . the wires from the switch are good.
thanks

I would not recommend heat shrink tubing on motor leads or any other wiring in the motor. The ozone given off by a electric motor will deteriorate the heat shrink tubing or rubber insulation on any wiring in the motor. Electric motor shops have a special insulated fabric sleeve they can provide that will slide over motor leads to give them more life without pulling new leads.

Thanks for the replies. i was able to re-coat the wires with liquid electric tape.

Thanks for the replies. i was able to re-coat the wires with liquid electric tape.
That's not going to work! The ozone given off by the motor will have that rubberized coating destroyed in short time. Might take a couple of years of operation, but it will. Please be advised. Ken

Back