Rod Selection?

Metal recycler here won't sell any metal to anyone. Car parts yes but not any useable metal.

Metal Supermarket wants $15 for a 16" piece of 12L14 plus the cost of gas to go pick it up, about $20. The 16" is all they have. At that price it's cheaper to have it sent from the US. I can get 6 ft from the US for $14 plus shipping from Speedy Metals. And Metal Supermarket is hit and miss for what I want to buy right now. I just heard from a second Metal Supermarket shop and the best they can do is $15.80 for a 5/8in 3 ft piece of 12L14! 5/8in is the smallest diameter they have. But big difference in price for the same material from two outlets of the same company. We have 3 outlets all at the same distance from us about 1 1/2 hour drives.
So 6 ft is $31.60 then I have to drive 3 hrs round trip, traffic will probably make it a longer trip so it will more likely be a 4 hour trip . Add the gas another $20-$25 and ware and tare on vehicle. So I'm now looking at $55-$60 for the piece of metal.

Last edited:
I live in Hawaii and understand shipping costs - they can be killers. I usually email an ebay seller to see if they will work with me to get the shipping costs down and most of them are willing to do so. You might give that a try. That stock is sitting on their shelves, not earning its keep so ...

Your right on working with them on shipping cost. I've done that with many things from Ebay. But now that a lot of sellers are using Ebays international shipping program us Canadians are getting robbed by Ebay. They are charging inflated shipping and duty/customs charges on items that are duty free and then they add a disclaimer saying the buyer is responsible for addition fees. This is just a money grab by Ebay and I refuse to buy from sellers that use this system. I usually contact the seller and tell them that the item is duty free, ALL printed material is duty and customs free as with anything under $100.

It's starting to sound like your best option. I think most ebay sellers would be willing to work with you, especially if you can convince them that anything under $100.00 is duty-free. Good luck with this - shipping metal can get expensive.

I ordered what I needed from Speedy Metal. Why? Because I could not get 12L14 in anything less then 5/8" I have no need for that dia. also it would cost me just as much to go get it as it will to buy the size I need and have it shipped from the US.

Back