Rohm Spiro Chuck Repair

Did Rhoem say if they're Spiro chucks are still made in Germany? And why are their jaws, chuck specific?
and what is their TIR spec with the Spiro? Just curious.

Emilio, I think it is that the jaws are designed to be finish ground in place, which is a good way to get a good fit -- in a factory repair shop with all the correct fixtures. It does not help hobby machinists working on their own chucks much, but we are not the bread and butter of their business, either. Sounds like it is send it in for repair, throw it away, or buy the jaws and see what you can do with them. Certainly not ideal from our viewpoint, but it is what it is, and may influence my future chuck buying decisions.

Edit: and a 10% spiff for a replacement chuck doesn't give me warm fuzzies, either...

... it is what it is, and may influence my future chuck buying decisions.

Edit: and a 10% spiff for a replacement chuck doesn't give me warm fuzzies, either...

Interesting that you can replace Albrecht jaws without compromising accuracy but not a Rohm set of jaws. Have to say, though, that I'm pretty pleased with my Rohm chucks. Hope I never destroy the jaws!

I haven't even taken my 5/8" Spiro chuck apart for cleaning, or checked the runout yet. Uh-oh. It looks and feels good, but a look see, clean up, and a test will tell the real story.

Interesting that you can replace Albrecht jaws without compromising accuracy but not a Rohm set of jaws. Have to say, though, that I'm pretty pleased with my Rohm chucks. Hope I never destroy the jaws!

I had the same thought. It sounds like a cost saving move by Roehm to grind the chucks in place, rather than grind each part to tight tolerances.
If you have an older, vintage Roehm chuck, there could be a big difference in quality from the new models., like Jacobs.? I would keep a good Albrecht just in case they ever decide to outsource.

Any one have price for used Rohiti Spiro chucks? 13 mm size.
CH

Last edited:
Just saw one on Ebay. The seller wants $700!!!!!!! (two brand new Albrechts).

There's one on there for used for $1,029 OBO.
I think I paid $35 for mine.
By the way, I talked to Llambrich USA today and they confirmed every one of their products is made in Spain.
I know it's not Germany but...

Back