Roll pin punch recommendations

HarryJM

Registered
Registered
Looking to buy a good quality set of roll pin punches so what are your recommendations?

I do not think you can go wrong with Gray, Proto, Westward, Signet. You will probably pay $60-$80 for a USA made set. Or $15 for offshore.I have a 40 year old Craftsman set tha is top notch.
Cheers
Martin

Starrett makes a nice set
Snap On tools pin punch sets were good, but i don't know how they are now

stay away from Vermont-American (garbage)

I bought a 7-piece set from Grace Tools a year or so ago, they’re quite nice and weren’t over the top for price. I think they have a larger (more than 7 punches) set as well.

-frank

Pin punches are easily made from drill blanks and mild steel bar stock. Drill an appropriate sized hole in the bar stock,add a few drops of cyanoacrylate and press the drill blank in.

I peronaly wouldn't use drill blanks, there too hard and can shatter. Just buy a good brand name set and be done with it. Don't go cheap buy quality they will last you a lifetime. I've had Proto and Snap-On for over 30 years.

I peronaly wouldn't use drill blanks, there too hard and can shatter. Just buy a good brand name set and be done with it. Don't go cheap buy quality they will last you a lifetime. I've had Proto and Snap-On for over 30 years.
I have a set that I made close to forty years ago and they have had some heavy use without problems. I have made cold chisels from ISS blanks as well. I find that they out perform carbon steel.

I like Rennsteig for punches at a reasonable price. Most of the time, I just grind them if I don't have a particular size/length out of a damaged one or a piece of material (like a bolt).

I was going to say, drill rod, and I assume drill blanks, are sold in the annealed state. If you only harden the top it should be fine

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

As usual it kind of depends on how much effort you want to put in. For me, figuring all the proper ID’s of the various sizes of roll pins in order to size and turn the nub properly was the deal breaker. Plus a lot of better ones are tapered back from the working end so there’s less risk of jamming or otherwise screwing up the hole. This is the larger 12-pc set from Grace, I only have the smaller set of seven.

-frank

0B8A9685-A6A3-4415-906A-7ADADE49637B.png

Back