Rollers And Axles

This design is a very small change from the original factory design and is not going to cause a plane to have an issue by any means. I do understand your point of view but I have to disagree with the fact that if you don't know this plane then you would never know that this wasn't factory designed to begin with.

Sent from my LGLS991 using Tapatalk
30 years ago if an A&P (such as myself) signs off on it...it falls under repair,,"like new or better"

Hi Kevin,
First let me welcome you to the Forum. This is an awesome site and hope you will continue to share.

Just so I am clear, what you have improved is really an assembly aid. A method that holds the parts together while they are being assembled, and once installed the cir-clip could disappear and all would be good.

My friend is a pilot and when I met him he was flying a Lake amphibious certified aircraft. He is also an AME. I know at work he was forever bringing in some of the hydraulics for the landing gear to install new seals etc. Also I remember rebuilding the controllable pitch prop, and vaguely remember him having to get some sort of oversite.

Since then he has sold the Lake, and is currently flying experimental RV-7, which I helped him build. Next we built A waiex Y tail with the VW modified engine. And are currently building a Panther with a Lycomming (don't recall the model...narrow something??).

I am only mentioning all this because I can now relate to what you have done compared with all the decisions one has to make when building a plane from "almost clear" plans.

And yes I know there is a world of difference between experimental and certified.

Looking forward to your future posts.

David
Yes what I made is really an assembly aid and you're completely correct that once assembled the clip could be removed if feasible and all would be well with it.

Thank you for welcoming me and I will continue to post for as long as I possibly can. I read quite a few of the posts on here before I became a member and so far I like what I have seen.

As my experience progresses (which it has since the beginning over 15 years ago) I plan on bringing more complicated projects to my table.

<big sigh>
You know, i hope this isn't too little too late, but David set the correct example.
Welcome!
Welcome to this forum. This *is* the friendly machining forum and I sometimes drop the ball in that regard, so i shall endeavor to improve henceforth.
Interested in how this all turns out.

Wrat

<big sigh>
You know, i hope this isn't too little too late, but David set the correct example.
Welcome!
Welcome to this forum. This *is* the friendly machining forum and I sometimes drop the ball in that regard, so i shall endeavor to improve henceforth.

Wrat
No issue Wrat, by replying you basically welcomed me to the forum and that is okay with me.

As far as them turning out, I mailed another set this morning to a customer. I don't do many of them and I doubt I will but it is fun to do and I enjoy helping others out where a larger machine shop would shun them away due to worrying about profits. I try to share my experience and also my time by not charging a fortune to do something for someone. I will not usually do anything that is over my head but have taken on some unique projects for people. Some want a part turned down for a faucet so they don't have to replace it, or to machining a knob for a experiential air scoop on aircraft. (early project years ago) I feel that too many people are worried about making money now a days and forget that we all inhabit the same planet and that at times we should help out our fellow brothers and sisters. Of course I don't do any illegal machining regarding guns or such as one I don't have the knowledge and second I'm not up to date on the laws and don't feel like spending time at the cross bar hotel lol.

Hi Kevin,

I also wanted to welcome you to the forum.
Hopefully you don't feel like you hit too much "turbulence" in this thread. :)

I know nothing of avionics, but would be very interested in a picture of those seat rails.
I am always looking for different ways to accomplish things.
It sounds to me like your rollers are a big improvement over the factory parts.
No doubt they use plastic for low cost........and if they get to sell you a replacement set every few years then all the better.

I try to share my experience and also my time by not charging a fortune to do something for someone. I will not usually do anything that is over my head but have taken on some unique projects for people. Some want a part turned down for a faucet so they don't have to replace it, or to machining a knob for a experiential air scoop on aircraft. (early project years ago) I feel that too many people are worried about making money

I wholeheartedly agree with that!
I know some people here get their income from machining and I respect that, but for me it it strictly a hobby.
I may never know the process of quoting a job, and the limits of having to turn a job down.
However, it gives me the liberty to work for free or for favours and also to believe that "no job is too small".
Many times I do work literally for beer.

One thing I need to get better at is estimating the value of some things. Generally people that value the service/parts want to "pay" me for my time and materials. If the materials are "new" then setting a price is easy, however, often the materials are scrap from something else.

Anyway, enough philosophy, I need to get out and work on some automotive brakes........

Have fun!
-brino

<big sigh>
Welcome!

Wrat

Hi Wrat it is awesome that you took the high road and welcomed Kevin. We are all passionate about some things and your passion came through.

I think it is up to us members to keep us all on the "Friendly" voyage, without having the moderators having to step in.

On the other hand we should feel free to contribute when we feel safety could be compromised.

David

Back