Rolling tool cabinet - shopping for one

Reddinr

H-M Supporter - Diamond Member
H-M Lifetime Diamond Member
I'm looking to replace the old kitchen cabinets that support a benchtop with a set of metal rolling cabinets with drawers (after removing the wheels for height reasons). I have heard good things about the value of Harbor Freight cabinets. They have ICON and GENERAL lines of cabinets. (YUKON too but not many types). It looks like ICON is more expensive. Does anyone have experience with the two types of cabinets? Is the ICON line significantly better?

I'm looking to replace the old kitchen cabinets that support a benchtop with a set of metal rolling cabinets with drawers (after removing the wheels for height reasons). I have heard good things about the value of Harbor Freight cabinets. They have ICON and GENERAL lines of cabinets. (YUKON too but not many types). It looks like ICON is more expensive. Does anyone have experience with the two types of cabinets? Is the ICON line significantly better?
General line is pretty good. Icon is a lot more expensive. Have a General, and a Yukon cabinet. General is out in the garage, Yukon is in basement and has a mini-lathe on top. I chose the Yukon that has lots of drawers, rather than the (useless) big doors. Both are nice. In the store, Icon seems to be very nice, but haven't lived with one.

Edit: Replaced casters on Yukon with leveling castors, similar to but more heavy duty than these leveling castors. Unfortunately, the leveling castors feet are way too soft, so the table sways if one pushes it. Don't recommend soft pads for the feet.

Last edited:
There does not seem to be apples to apples but a 36x25 ICON weighs about 500 Lb. and a 44x22 GENERAL weighs 340 Lb. Must be thicker metal. I suppose the extra depth can come in handy. My back is cringing about handling either one...

I have the US General 34" and it is excellent. The ICON's are more heavy-duty, so it will get down to what you intend to do with them. Your total weight load will likely be your deciding factor.

I have the general tool boxes in my shop. Great value for the money and hold up well.

i got to say.. that the Husky brand tool chest i got on sale before Christmas so far has really pleased me..

Last edited:
I plan a countertop across the top of a couple of these. What is the height of a GENERAL without the wheels?

I have a one of the 9 drawer Yukon cabinets for about a year now. I have my machinist chest on top with tools and tooling in the chest.

Edit: Replaced casters on Yukon with leveling castors, similar to but more heavy duty than these leveling castors. Unfortunately, the leveling castors feet are way too soft, so the table sways if one pushes it. Don't recommend soft pads for the feet.

I use leveling casters, too, and I noticed that the difference between good ones, like those from Carrymaster, vs the lesser brands is the size of the leveling screw. Footmaster is the most widely used brand and their screws are too small; I've tried them and don't like them. On a heavy piece, the screw bends and not so much the foot pad. Carrymaster screws are heavier and when the leveling pads are down, they are solid. I have an 800# mill that is rock solid in use but moves around my shop with one finger when on the wheels.

You do have to size the casters to the load. I shoot for 1.5 - 2 times the load rating most of the time and this seems to work well. My mill is on casters with a rating of over 300#/caster and it works fine. My 600# lathe is on 1100# casters because I do not want it to even think about moving until I want it to.

I use leveling casters, too, and I noticed that the difference between good ones, like those from Carrymaster, vs the lesser brands is the size of the leveling screw. Footmaster is the most widely used brand and their screws are too small; I've tried them and don't like them. On a heavy piece, the screw bends and not so much the foot pad. Carrymaster screws are heavier and when the leveling pads are down, they are solid. I have an 800# mill that is rock solid in use but moves around my shop with one finger when on the wheels.

You do have to size the casters to the load. I shoot for 1.5 - 2 times the load rating most of the time and this seems to work well. My mill is on casters with a rating of over 300#/caster and it works fine. My 600# lathe is on 1100# casters because I do not want it to even think about moving until I want it to.
My leveling castors just plain stink. They allegedly are way overrated, like 1000 lbs each. They were clones, and bad ones at that. The screws aren't wide, and the pads are just squishy. Went through a lot of effort to mount them, and it wasn't worth it. (Like a dope I installed them on an already full cabinet, which made it hard!) Next time, I will buy better ones. Lesson learned the hard way.

Back